New Chinese mobile game is a massive Splatoon ripoff
Update: Here’s some footage:
As unfortunate as it is, Chinese companies creating blatant ripoffs of Nintendo products is nothing out of the ordinary. But the newest mobile game may take the cake as the worst offender yet.
In the attached gallery, we have a look at Sepia Go!, one of the newest titles from China. It should only take a second to realize that what we have here is something that is attempting to mimic Splatoon in every way – from the art to the characters to the gameplay. Nintendo should be none to happy with these sorts of things floating around out there.
Thanks to Stephen Lv for originally pointing this out to us.
Details from Nintendo’s 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in 3DS, General Nintendo, Mobile, News, Switch, Wii U | 178 Comments | 0 Likes
Update: All finished! You can get caught up on the full recap below.
Nintendo’s 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is about to begin. NStyles appears to be in attendance and Cheesemeister will be translating, so we should be getting information from the event as it happens.
The meeting will kick off at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT. We’ll start posting tidbits around then.
– A Mario towel, Pikachu cookies, and room-temperature green tea given to attendees
– From left: Umeyama, Mitamura, Ueda, Mizutani, Shigeyuki Takahashi, Kimishima, Takeda, Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi, Yamato, Tanaka
– 20 minutes before it began, the seats were about 30% filled (can hold 1,000); up to 60% around 10 minutes before start time
– About to start; all of the directors have entered
– Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima greets the audience
– Auditor Minoru Ueda makes a report
– The 76th annual report is not being read by president Kimishima, but rather a recorded narration is being played with slides
– There were no big 3DS hit titles, so sales were low
– Splatoon, Mario Maker, Twilight Princess HD did well
– amiibo hit 24.7 million units
– Download sales totaled 43.9 billion yen
– Miitomo got off to a good start
– Operating income recovered, but losses due to the strong yen reduced ordinary and net income
– Assets: 1 trillion, 296.9 billion yen; net assets minus liabilities equal 1 trillion, 160.9 billion yen, down 6.6b yen from last
– Issues to address. Up to now, the goal has been to expand the gaming population irregardless of age, gender, or experience. Now, the focus is to increase the population exposed to Nintendo IPs.
– Pokemon Sun/Moon 3DS due out worldwide in November, with many other Nintendo, strong 3rd-party titles to be released
– The aim with 3DS is to make the platform active again
– NX reconfirmed for worldwide launch in March 2017; the dedicated game machine business will continue to be core
– amiibo and download businesses will continue to receive focus
– Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing come to smart devices this fall
– Focusing on My Nintendo, we want to create synergy between the dedicated game machine and smart device businesses
– Nintendo IP will be used in theme parks, character goods, and film contents
– Nintendo said the Wii U would continue to fight on, but only Zelda is coming next year
– The resolutions that were voted upon are explained (these can be found online already)
– There are 6 resolutions this year
Pokemon GO – not trying to recreate the main games, accessibility important, more
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, News | 8 Comments | 0 Likes
J.C. Smith, The Pokemon Company’s senior director of consumer marketing, says that the aim of Pokemon GO isn’t to recreate the experience that we’re used to seeing with the main games.
Speaking with Polygon, Smith said:
“We’re not trying to recreate the video game experience. What we wanted to do with the mobile game from both sides — from Niantic as well as Pokémon — was, we wanted to make a new experience that was native to mobile.”
Niantic CEO John Hanke also spoke about what the team is setting out to achieve with Pokemon GO. Hanke highlighted the importance of accessibility for both newcomers and Pokemon fans.
“We’re trying to make the game accessible to a person who doesn’t yet know how much they want to commit to the game, who just wants to explore. That includes not just the Pokémon newbie, but those on the opposite side — a diehard who’s played all of the RPGs but isn’t sure if an augmented reality game that requires them to get up off the couch is really their speed. At the same time, we think that there’s an opportunity to build depth. There’s an emergent complexity that doesn’t hit you over the head at first blush, [from] trying to power up your Pokémon and evolve and ultimately start competing for gyms.”
Update: Star Accounts (Japan only) – Miitomo – new update incoming, new items out now
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, News | 5 Comments | 0 Likes
Update: Another new feature will be Star Accounts – these are “notable” Miis that will visit you and allow you to hear (and star) their answers. These will presumably be Nintendo developers, celebrities and the like. However, this feature will only be available if your phone’s location is set to Japan. It is not known at the moment if this feature will be added to other regions as well at a later point.
This coming week, Miitomo should have a new update. Nintendo provided a preview about what it has in store today.
Users can look forward to the following:
– Share recent news at any time when you talk with your own Mii character
– Tap links in answers and comments to open them in a browser
– The cap on popularity level and style level will be raised to 30
– More options for sharing or sending invitations
– Mexico, Switzerland, and South Africa will be available as country setting options
– Additional optimizations and bug fixes are also planned
Miitomo will be distributed in Mexico, Switzerland, and South Africa starting on June 30. Expect the update to drop around then.
Aside from the update news, new items are out now in Miitomo. Here’s the full lineup:
– Nautical bucket hat
– Polo shirt w/ emblem
– Denim shorts
– Ribbed lace knee-highs
– Leather crisscross sandals
– Shooting star pin
– Cow hood
– Cow suit
16 minutes of Pokemon GO footage
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, Videos | 0 comments | 0 Likes
As more and more people get their hands on the Pokemon GO beta, new footage continues to surface. Get a look at another 16 minutes of footage below.
Thanks to Jake for the tip.
Pokemon GO field test ends on June 30, top five captured Pokemon
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, News | 0 comments | 0 Likes
The Pokemon GO field test will be coming to a close next week. Today, Niantic announced that service will end on June 30 in the United States and Japan (probably Australia as well). The app will no longer function after this date.
For those that are interested, Niantic also shared the top five captured Pokemon. The lineup is: Rattata, Pidgey, Meowth, Gastly, and Abra.
Update: South Africa, Mexico as well – Miitomo coming to Switzerland on June 30
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, News | 25 Comments | 0 Likes
Update 2 (6/24): Bumped to the top. Miitomo lands in South Africa on May 30, too.
Update: Now confirmed that Mexico will have Miitomo on the same day.
Original (6/23): Miitomo isn’t out worldwide, but the app is starting to reach new countries. In Switzerland, Nintendo has announced that the download will be made available starting on June 30. We’ll have to wait and see if/when other territories will gain access to Miitomo.
Miitomo – new Miitomo Drop theme and Everybody Answers question (6/24/16)
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, News | 0 comments | 0 Likes
Miitomo has been updated with new content once again. Players can nab some new fast-food-based items through the latest Miitomo Drop stages, including hamburger and soft-drink outfits.
Here’s the full lineup:
– Hamburger hat (set)
– Hamburger suit (set)
– Soft-drink straw (set)
– Soft-drink cup (set)
– French fries hood
– French fries suit
– Fast-food crew hat (set)
– Fast-food crew uniform (set)
– French fry pin
– Pizza bikini bottom (set)
– Pizza bikini top (set)
– Pizza tee
– Hot Dog pants
Aside from the latest Miitomo Drop additions, there’s also a new Everybody Answers question. The featured question is: “What new skill would you most like to have?” The event runs until July 1 at 4:59 PM PT / 7:59 PM ET. If you answer the question while it’s active, you’ll be provided with Miitomo Platinum Points on My Nintendo.
Pokémon Shuffle’s weekly update brings a new safari, plus repeats
Pokémon Shuffle has gotten its usual weekly update for both mobile and 3DS. Most importantly is a brand new Safari event, which will run until July 5th and gives players the chance to catch Shellder, Cloyster, Pidove, Tranquill and Unfezant, plus a chance for special Shiny versions of Magikarp and Gyarados.
There’s another chance to get Gyrados, though, as both a stage for it and Landorus Therian Forme are getting repeat runs until July 5th. Furthermore, a Tornadus Incarnate Forme stage has begun a repeat run, which gets easier with every attempt (but can only be played once a day, and only until June 28th).
The Gyrados love isn’t set to stop, though, as next week is set to bring a competition for Mega-Gyrados. Best get to catching both it and something super-effective for the challenge next week…
Update: GameStop – Pokemon GO Plus pre-orders live on Amazon
Posted on 1 year ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in Mobile, News | 13 Comments | 0 Likes
Update (6/20): Bumped to the top. Now up for pre-order on GameStop.
Update 4: Sold out again.
Update 3 (6/16): Back up on Amazon again.
Update 2: Sold out.
Update: Bumped to the top. This sold out for a period on Amazon, but is now back up.
Original (6/15): Amazon is now taking pre-orders for the Pokemon GO Plus accessory for Pokemon GO. Place an order here.