December 2012 NPD: Nintendo’s response, Wii U/3DS/Wii/DS sales
Nintendo’s response to the 2012 NPD report is in. The company sold 460,000 consoles in the US last month and a total of 890,000 units after 41 days. Wii U has generated over $300 million in the US, according to Nintendo and NPD.
Below you’ll find Nintendo’s complete response, which contains data for New Super Mario Bros. U, and numerous data for the 3DS, Wii, and DS.
With more than 460,000 units sold in December, Wii U has now sold nearly 890,000 units in the United States after only 41 days on the market, according to the NPD Group. To date, Wii U hardware sales have generated more than $300 million in the U.S. alone; Wii hardware had generated just more than $270 million at the same point in its lifecycle.
“While the Wii launch established new benchmarks in the United States, Wii U has surpassed its predecessor in perhaps the most important category: revenue generation,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The demand for the Deluxe SKU, which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U, shows that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013. We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year.”
Nintendo sold more than 2.65 million hardware units in the United States in the month of December. 2012 marked the 11th consecutive year that Nintendo has sold at least 8 million hardware units in the U.S. Other Nintendo sales milestones achieved in December 2012 and beyond that time frame, include:
- New Super Mario Bros. U has now sold more than 580,000 units, an attach rate of more than 65 percent.
- Nintendo 3DS sold more than 1.25 million units in December and has crossed 7.7 million units sold life to date.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 became the fourth Nintendo 3DS title to surpass 1 million units sold in the U.S., and has now sold more than 1.45 million units life to date.
- Nintendo 3DS continues to outpace the historic sales rate of Nintendo DS.Wii
- Wii sold nearly 475,000 units and crossed 40.8 million units sold life to date.
- Ubisoft’s Just Dance 3 became the 10th Wii title to sell more than 5 million units life to date.Nintendo DS
- Nintendo DS sold nearly 470,000 units and crossed 53 million units sold life to date.
For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com
*Note that all data referenced in this document is from The NPD Group’s December report, which covers the period of Nov. 25 through Dec. 29, and is for the United States only.
Source: Nintendo PR