[Video Opinion] "Where did all the color go?" - A trailer an

Latest news straight from Nintendo Everything!

Postby Austin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

I made this video back on Wednesday (hence why it sounds like I thought the Nintendo Direct was "today") but neglected to put it up because I feel as though its production values are rather low. Still, I think I trust you guys to be able to look passed the low recording quality and poor editing just this once to see the point I'm trying to make. What's the point I'm trying to make?

Xenoblade is way more colorful (and in my opinion better looking) than Monolith Soft's new game "X". I think "X" looks like baloney visually, even if the game will be good for other aspects.

We have one or two more features coming today and this is the least important of them so I'm just tossing it up in the afternoon willy nilly. Expect a new 'Two People Playin' Games' beta episode and a new 'Here's a Podcast' later tonight!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Bikop » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:50 pm

That is a handy dandy site you have there. I, too, thought this upon seeing the trailer, but that feeling was mostly pushed down by the relief I felt that this game looks like a Xeno-game, at least from the HUD. The whole color thing almost single-handedly made Wind Waker my favorite game when it came out, but to say that discredits every other aspect of its awesomeness. Anyway, depending on the setting and themes of the game, I think this more hyper-realistic style could be fine, but it's not like Xenoblade didn't handle some pretty heavy stuff itself. I guess this style works, I just can't see why they aren't using a more colorful one.
Bikop
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Nintendo Network ID: The_Hero
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3173-1035
Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby jckapono » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Hard to say from one trailer whether the game is going to look this way. I think it looks amazing either way, but I guess I get your point. I remember the skyline fondly in Chronicles. The first time I actually noticed the skyline, it was hours into the game already, but it was really an awe-inspiring moment, one of the ones I won't soon forget in my gaming life, actually. Those moments are far and few between in games, and you can go literally tens of games and hundreds of hours in between those moments these days. If 'X' captures any essence of that moment, I will be more than happy.
jckapono
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Nintendo Network ID: jckapono

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:57 pm

dorks
Alex
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SquareSide » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:41 am

Ni No Kuni seems pretty colorful to me...

Don't freak out on just one trailer, you're comparing a polished game to one that isn't. I'm sure it'll get spiced up in the color department unless the new X has a theme of life being drained or something or all is taken over by Mechon which looks to be the case with all the monster battles.

The footage pulled could also just be from one area in the game.
SquareSide
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Nintendo Network ID: SquareSide

Postby Bikop » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 am

@Alex
I cannot speak for jckapono, but yes, I am. I would also like to point out that we are on a video game news site. Taking a step back, I find it humorous that we (not including you) are discussing the color palet of a video game.

@jckapono
I found myself feeling that way too while playing Chronicles. The most poignant moment for me was probably standing on the Mechonis and looking back on the Bionis. I think Austin is on to something when he says the richer colors create a greater level of immersion. I believe that is one reason I have never been able to get into games such as Skyrim. I say Skyrim not because it is popular and I hate the mainstream, but because If it used a color other than grey, It may have been visually appealing enough to hold my attention.
Bikop
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Bikop » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 am

@SquareSide
This thought also occurred to me, just look over the mountains in the trailer. There is nothing there! It appears as if they made a relatively small environment to showcase the game. That being said, I believe the core issue (if you want to call it an issue, I'm not saying anyone does) here is the more realistic style they have chosen for this game. It will be difficult to fit vibrant colors into that world naturally. I guess they could have a city like Alcamoth, but instead of it being white, they could use all kinds of crazy colors.
Bikop
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: [Video Opinion] "Where did all the color go?" - A traile

Postby Patrick » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 am

Alex wrote:dorks
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Extreme-Brah » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 pm

This video was very pointless...
Extreme-Brah
Para Goomba
Para Goomba

Postby SKrumrie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

It could just be the visual style of this game. It might have to do a lot with the setting.
SKrumrie
Goomba
Goomba

Nintendo Network ID: SKrumrie
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4785-4098

Return to Nintendo Everything news