Criterion heaps more praise on Wii U, Nintendo

Latest news straight from Nintendo Everything!

Postby Valay » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:27 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Amid some of the recent negative news surrounding the Wii U, it's encouraging to see a developer such as Criterion Games going all out with Need for Speed: Most Wanted. We've already seen a few lazy efforts when it comes to third-party ports on the console, but Criterion has gone out of its way to make Most Wanted play better and look better on Wii U.

And despite what a few may say about the Wii U's power, Criterion's Alex Ward told Kotaku that the system does contain a fair amount of memory. He also spoke about the importance of coming out in a big way in terms of features as this is the team's first release on the console.

"There's more memory in the hardware… The draw distance is a little better. It's not as mip-mapped out. ...Well this is our first game on the hardware. We wanted to go back to like we used to be. If you know we're doing the game, you know we've looked at the hardware and said, 'What's the best damned thing we can do on that?' We're going to support everything we can. We support MiiVerse fully, online play."

Ward went on to talk about Nintendo in a very positive light, appreciating the "excellent gameplay" the company provides:

"Everyone wants to talk about this and that on the hardware, and it's not as interesting to me. What's really important is what we're doing with the player experience. The games I'm playing on Wii U—Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U—what Nintendo [does], they just deliver excellent gameplay. It's probably one of the big problems in the industry at the moment. Everyone—you guys—like to talk about specs and this and that. We've got to get back to just playing the game. And that's what this game is about. It's about a simple, fun experience. It's not about 10,000,000 polygons and who does this and who does that."

Source
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID: ValayNE
3DS Friend Code: 0774-424445455
Wii number: 7994-0434-6099-6888

Postby jckapono » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm

There need to be more developers like this guy. While I admit there is a certain "standard" when it comes to graphics of games at this point that needs to be met, I personally don't care if the game looks amazing if it isn't fun to play.

The first Call of Duty on PS4/720 is going to basically look like real life. Does that alone make me want to play it? No. But I admit high-end graphics would probably be the only reason I would ever pick up a COD game. Because they just aren't good games.

And while we're on the subject of hitting the rewind on games, let's get back to games being hard. Stop holding my hand. Stop assuming everyone is 5 years old who is going to play your game. Let me figure out the basics, and maybe further along into the game you can drop some helpful tips...but this babying has got to stop. Drop me in, let me go.
jckapono
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Nintendo Network ID: jckapono

Postby Austin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 pm

@jckapono: The Call of Duty games are good games.

Smells like Nintendo might be paying Criterion a lot of money to make this version all it can be! I'd be curious if that was the case.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Guymelef » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 am

@Austin, just because Criterion's saying good things about Nintendo, then it's safe to assume that they are being paid?

i hope you have the same belief when devs say good things about Sony and MS, otherwise that'd just be some biased opinion for a particular company.

frankly, i'm just glad Criterion decided to sit back and look at what the hardware can do, instead of rushing into releasing the game just to make a quick buck. if you've followed the reports, they could have made the Wii U launch; but since they didn't know much about the online capabilities of the hardware as well as some key features, they decided not to proceed, and waited for the final product to ship. and if indeed this game turns out to be good for the Wii U, then kudos to Criterion. don't really care whether this is the "definitive version", coz in the end, all that matters is what it can do on the hardware and gameplay.
Guymelef
Goomba
Goomba

3DS Friend Code: 3909-8926-9720
Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby jckapono » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 am

@Austin: They really aren't good
jckapono
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Nintendo Network ID: jckapono