General movies thread of what have you seen lately?

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Re: General movies thread of what have you seen lately?

Postby thomas » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am

I need to see Big Fish and Ed Wood; I've seen most of his other stuff, though. Favourites are Sleepy Hollow, Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride and the Batman films.

I shall be getting the Dark Knight Trilogy on DVD soon, too! Maybe even on Bluray; they're not that expensive anymore, I might switch soon.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 am

I really love Burton. He has some horrible stuff (Charlie) but I love most of his stuff.

I have The Dark Night on bluray, I would love the get the remaining movies too!

Also, I saw Ralph! It was a very great movie on its own and the VideoGame cameos/jokes make the movie even better (for dudes like us!) Seriously, there are a lot of references and they all are pretty cool. Highly recommended.

And yeah, Sleepy Hollow is the best Burton film.
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby ehead » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02 am

I hear the trilogy edition contains an artbook or something. Gimme gimme!
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Windstar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I saw Frankenweenie too. I was having some Corpse Bride flashbacks with this. But it was really great. I can't say I can relate to thinking of dogs as best friends, I never really had a dog until I was in high school. But anyway, I like the themes it touches on. And I liked how it ended.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Another really good movie. I don't expect many people to be able to relate to it, but at the very least it's a compelling teen drama/romance.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:34 am

ehead wrote:I hear the trilogy edition contains an artbook or something. Gimme gimme!

DO WANT!

Windstar wrote:I saw Frankenweenie too. I was having some Corpse Bride flashbacks with this. But it was really great. I can't say I can relate to thinking of dogs as best friends, I never really had a dog until I was in high school. But anyway, I like the themes it touches on. And I liked how it ended.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Another really good movie. I don't expect many people to be able to relate to it, but at the very least it's a compelling teen drama/romance.

Funny, I just saw that movie. And I was listening to "Heroes" (Xmas present from my old man) before seeing the movie. Ah, serendipity. I like it, considering that I hate coming of age kinda stuff. I was playing Pokemon, but still I thought it was good. I hated every character for not knowing who David Bowie is
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby ehead » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 am

This is the End trailer (JoBlo site)
I feel like I'll be having fun with this movie. I like Rogen/Franco movies. :D

Edit: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone trailer (JoBlo)
I like Jim Carrey. I like Steve Carrell. I hope they bring this over soon! :D
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby Windstar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm not sure how to feel about either of those.

Anyhoo, I saw Sleepy Hollow. Really good comedy/horror/mystery. And now I know what Ickybod Clay is based on.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 am

Finally saw Wreck-It Ralph (since it's finally out here) and I thought it was a really enjoyable movie. Some of the humour felt a bit flat to me since I'm not six years old, but they totally nailed the look/sound of all the games and most of the references were fun. Thankfully the movie didn't rely on them too much. It definitely wasn't as good as the short that preceded it, but then few things are.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Valay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Patrick wrote:Finally saw Wreck-It Ralph (since it's finally out here) and I thought it was a really enjoyable movie. Some of the humour felt a bit flat to me since I'm not six years old, but they totally nailed the look/sound of all the games and most of the references were fun. Thankfully the movie didn't rely on them too much. It definitely wasn't as good as the short that preceded it, but then few things are.

Those are pretty much my thoughts as well.

I saw Inception recently. It was much better than I thought it'd be. I know it was well-received and all, but I was never too interested in it.
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID: ValayNE
3DS Friend Code: 0774-424445455
Wii number: 7994-0434-6099-6888

Postby thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 am

Thirst -- Awesome mix of equal parts drama, horror, romance and a dash of comedy. Directed by the same guy who did Oldboy, this is definitely my favourite vampire films and for once I actually liked the second half of the film (also, awesome ending).
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby ehead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:56 am

Hey that's the guy from The Host! Will certainly keep an eye on this one.
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby Valay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 pm

I saw Django Unchained with a friend recently... didn't like it. I'm sorry, but I just don't appreciate that kind of violence. Others may, but I just find it pointless and senseless.

But for what it is I guess it was okay. I thought Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio were great.
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID: ValayNE
3DS Friend Code: 0774-424445455
Wii number: 7994-0434-6099-6888

Postby Windstar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:49 pm

That movie never interested me for some reason. Probably because Jamie Fox.

Anyway, I re/watched some more movies:

Spirited Away: I can finally say I love this film. I don't know why it didn't click with me the first time.

Howl's Moving Castle: Love this as well but there are still things I don't understand. There's a war going on but they don't even really explain it so when it ends I'm just like "okay". And the part with Howl's past was weird. It was probably a metaphor for "love transcends time" or something but I didn't think it was necessary.

Coraline: This was another movie that didn't click with me the first time but now I love it.

Corpse Bride: Pretty good but not Burton's best.

Where the Wild Things Are: I didn't watch this movie completely. It's just really weird and the costumes are creepy. That's all I really have to say.

Hotel Translyvania: I liked it. It's one of those over-the-top Hollywood kids movies with numerous pop culture references (californication?) and oh-so-quirky characters that are expected because they're not expected. If that makes sense. I remember seeing a trailer where the character sings a parody of Call Me Maybe but it was Call Me Mavey (her name is Mavis) and that pretty much set the tone for the entire film for me. So I wasn't disappointed at all because I sort of saw it all coming. Sometimes it's less predictable to be predictable I guess. I think if you go into it with the right mindset, you'll enjoy it. It's nothing special though.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby thomas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Believe the hype! Great chemistry, fun characters. The football bit was obnoxious, though.

(trying to watch all the Oscar nominated films before the Oscars)
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 am

I hope The Silver Linings premiers before the oscars...

Anyway, I saw a bunch of movies lately.

The Impossible, great acting, the kids where pretty good. Naomi Watts steals the movie, well deserve nomination.

Life of Pi pretty interesting and fun movie. Richard Parker is enough reason to check the movie!

Pulp Fiction This one took a while to air... J/K, it was some sort of re-release. Saw it with my dad, it was the first time he saw it. Without spoiling much, it was obvious that I was the only one that has seen the movie already. Everyone s reaction to the gimp was priceless!
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge