General movies thread of what have you seen lately?

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Re: General movies thread of what have you seen lately?

Postby Windstar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Sr.Gabo wrote:Is anyone is on the fence about Brave and Bold, check this out NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA

"Aquaman is so courageous, but his little fish is less outrageous" *wiggles pinky*

LOL, how did that get passed the censors?! I love when cartoons do that.

I saw Batman Returns (1990). I vaguely remember seeing this as a kid but most of my memory of it was the Snes game which I played to death as a kid. Penguin and Catwoman really steal the movie. Batman was just sort of... there. Also he's kind of short so he looks less intimidating. I really like this iteration of Catwoman. This costume should have been in Arkham City :/
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Sr.Gabo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 am

How did anything about that song got passed?!
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:43 am

I find hilarious that the guy that rebooted Stark Treak is directing the new Star Wars sequel. HA!
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Windstar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:46 pm

The Secret World of Arrietty and Kiki's Delivery Service. Arrietty was a charming, heartwarming little film. And I really loved Kiki's Delivery Service. Kiki reminds me of myself in a lot of ways. Both are Studio Ghibli films btw.

And I'm sort of in the middle of My Neighbors The Yamadas. It's a cute little film (more like a bunch of shorts actually) that just sort of satirizes the daily life of an average Japanese family. (Also by Studio Ghibli)
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby ehead » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:37 pm

I should probably try watching more Studio Ghibli movies, last one I watch is Spirited Away. D:

Anyway, my friend has been pestering me to watch Pitch Perfect, so I guess that'd be the next on my must-watch list. I'll probably watch Hansel & Gretel later... I guess it'd be enjoyable.
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Windstar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:07 pm

I was going to watch Pitch Perfect but a lot of comments were saying "If you like Glee, you'll like this" so I changed my mind.

And surprise, more Ghibli.

Pom Poko and Castle in the Sky. Both great. Pom Poko is about transforming Tanukis whose homes are being ravaged by human technological improvement. Yeah, you can already guess what the message to that is but the ride along the way is fun. Though the male Tanukis have visible balls, which was distracting to say the least. I mean you can't not look at them. They're like there. All the time.

Castle in the Sky is exactly what it sounds like. People are looking for it. Another fun movie, with a fun cast of characters, and the relationship with the protagonists is cute.

The Cat Returns. This was just pretty weird and random. More of a kids film. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't really recommend it.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby ehead » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:33 am

This is the real next gen.

*Its the Pixar short Paperman*

This is beautiful. The story, however, reminds me of that short film about the guy with the same dilemma but they were able to interact using papers and stuff.
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Windstar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:10 pm

And then they realized they are completely incompatible with each other and "love at first sight" is a cryptic adage people use when they want to bang every beautiful dame/gentlemen they see. /buzzkill

Seriously though, that animation looked gorgeous. I wonder if we'll see some Disney films like that.

More movie junk I've seen:

Trigun Badlands Rumble and Lupin III Castle of Caligstro. Good anime action goodies.

Whisper of the heart, really really loved this one. This has to be Miyazaki's best non-fantasy film.

Porco Rosso, also really good with some nice airplane action and underlying themes as well.

Wallace & Gromit: Close Shave. I remember watching a lot of these shorts when I was younger and I was curious to see if it was as good as I remember. It was even better! On the outside it seems like a jolly old English man and his dog going on wacky adventures. Which it is. But the story was surprisingly great and a lot darker than I remembered. The villain character was handled so great in this. He never actually talks but somehow manages to be one of the most intimidating bad guys I've seen in a kid's show.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby TiggyPudding » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 pm

ehead wrote:This is the real next gen.

This is beautiful. The story, however, reminds me of that short film about the guy with the same dilemma but they were able to interact using papers and stuff.

Aww, that was really sweet :3 I have to say though, if a guy threw a paper plane at me I'd probably slap him first :/

@Windstar: Yay, Wallace & Gromit! I love Wallace & Gromit so much :D Have you ever seen Curse of the Were-Rabbit? It's not quite as good as the older shorts but it's still definitley worth a watch.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby Sr.Gabo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm

TiggyPudding wrote:
ehead wrote:This is the real next gen.

Aww, that was really sweet :3 I have to say though, if a guy threw a paper plane at me I'd probably slap him first :/

@Windstar: Yay, Wallace & Gromit! I love Wallace & Gromit so much :D Have you ever seen Curse of the Were-Rabbit? It's not quite as good as the older shorts but it's still definitley worth a watch.

:p

I saw Hanzel and Gretel, it was ok, I guess. Gretel is reason enough to make the movie watchable. *wink,wink*

Wallace and Gromit is pretty good, Im a real fan of the stop-motion animation and I enjoy the humor. I liked the Were-Rabbit movie, not perfect but not boring.
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby TiggyPudding » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 pm

So yeah, I (and my Dad ;)) watched My Neighbour Totoro. I absolutley loved it, I would go as far to say it's one of my favourite films of all time :D I'm suprised how easily my Dad got into it too, anime stuff normally baffles him. It's funny, Mei reminded me of myself when I was little, especially how stubborn she is :P
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby Windstar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 pm

I think I saw Curse of the Were-rabbit when I was young but I don't remember much about it. I'll most likely end up re-watching all of the Wallace & Gromit shorts.

Also, I'm glad you liked Totoro! It really is a great film.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Patrick » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Totoro is really fantastic, maybe my second favourite Studio Ghibli film.

The best is Porco Rosso.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby thomas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Oscars are this weekend and there's still a couple left that we haven't seen :( Anyway, this one's good... it starts off very quirky and fast-paced. Less a fan of the slow second half, but it's certainly gorgeous.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 am

Saw Django. Fucking love it.
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge