All things anime / manga / otaku

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Re: All things anime / manga / otaku

Postby Windstar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:31 pm

bestiality and tentacle rape are canon in pokemon
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Remember that episode were a gigantic Tentacruel attacked a city?
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Patrick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Wasn't that episode taken out of syndication because it had vague similarities to the 9/11 terrorist attacks?

9/11 was an inside job by giant jellyfish.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Windstar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:46 pm

I was on Miiverse the other day browsing some "What are some good anime?" topics and it confuses me how people who like One Piece can also refer to stuff like Soul eater or Blue exorcist as "amazing". I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I legitimately want to know what people are getting from it that I'm not. How can you like an anime with amazing story arcs, great characters, great fights, emotional depth, unique designs and concepts and then ALSO say an anime with pretty much none of that is just as good or better? I'm not trying to be an A-hole, I honestly want to know.

And I don't think I'm being a hipster that just hates everything mainstream. I started re-watching Naruto recently and I'm really enjoying it. And that's the anime that hipsters love to trash the most. Heck, I'm enjoying it 50x more than I did as a child. That's saying something!

This thread is like my go-to place for anime because it seems like fans overhype everything and I can't trust any of them really. And Wikipedia's Reception section usually just shows how well it sold in Japan. Which doesn't help because Japanese people love everything.

/Venting

Anyhoo, I started watching Magi. Interesting anime that takes place in sort of an Aladdin-esque setting. Also the main character's name is Aladdin. So far I think it's interesting though I'm not sure if it's caught my attention enough to continue it.

And I also started Ninja Nonsense. It's a comedy anime. I only saw one episode but I found it pretty hilarious actually. It's kind of like Bobobo but not as nonsensical. It's nonsensical but you can at least follow what's going on. I'm going to continue watching this.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby thomas » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 pm

You're definitely not a hipster, One Piece is as mainstream as it gets :troll:

I haven't seen Blue Exorcist, but for what it's worth I'd say Soul Eater has a fair bit of awesome characters, great fights (fantastic animation!), some emotional depth, unique designs and an interesting overlapping world. It drags on, though, as do all shounen in my experience, and I couldn't find myself caring much about the second half.

For recommendations I really think MAL or ANN are much better, because they have people who are actually knowledgable about anime and can recommend a niche anime that came out 10 years ago that might fit your needs better. Especially the MAL forums, they give thorough customised recommendations.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (dunno if you've seen it?) seems like the best bet if you want something like the description you gave of One Piece. It's such a masterpiece among shounen shows. And since One Piece is half comedy, Gintama might work for you too. That being said, I can't really stand shounen anymore, so I'm better off recommending stuff in a genre completely different from young-boy-gets-stronger-and-fights-spectacular-battles-for-fate-of-the-world.

And man, I haven't seen anime in forever. Well, sort of re-watching Ergo Proxy with the gf but at a really slow pace.
Last edited by thomas on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby TiggyPudding » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:53 pm

But I like Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist too :sad: I don't think they compare to animes like One Piece though. Someone who says Soul Eater is just as good as One Piece is either crazy or very biased. Soul Eater starts off good but the ending's all wierd and kinda shitty :/
Ninja Nonsense sounds good, I love funny insane animes :D Speaking of which I really should watch more bobobo at some point!
Can anybody reccomend a few more animes for me to try? I lost track of what was in my backlog :(

And yes, everybody here should watch Brotherhood if they haven't already. That's my other favourite anime :3
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby Windstar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 pm

I watched about the first 7 episodes of Soul eater and I absolutely loved the design and characters and the fight scene with Jack the Ripper but as it went on, the pacing just got so slow and it felt like nothing was getting accomplished and the stories weren't interesting. Maybe my main issue is pacing. I can't stand when animes are boring for 15 minutes of the episode and then it decides to get interesting at the end.

Blue exorcist felt the same, there is so much time where it seems something COULD be happening but nothing is going on. And I didn't find the fighting interesting either. Another thing I can't stand is when animes don't animate the characters' complete bodies fighting and you just see a bunch of very zoomed in shots or just flashing pictures of the attack and I can't tell wtf is going on. It's just lazy to me. My mind reading a manga could probably picture a better fight.

Brotherhood is very high on my priority list, it's just plain sin I've been putting it off for so long. Considering I loved the first series, I think it's about time I saw it.

And thanks, I'll definitely check out those sites!
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Sr.Gabo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:43 am

You guys and your weird japanese cartoons I dont get.

Is "Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood" about Alchemy? If so, I might give it a watch.
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby thomas » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:55 am

yeah quite a bit of alchemy is used, and quite a few plot lines are carried by it, although obviously it's still an action-oriented anime
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Windstar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:31 pm

I started FMA Brotherhood. It's every bit as awesome as I thought it'd be!
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Windstar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Just for a minute let's all do the BUMP

I started reading Shaman King. For whatever reason. I didn't expect it to be interesting at all but I'm actually really enjoying it. I love the punky art design. Kind of reminds me of Soul eater. Speaking of which, I'm consider getting back into Soul eater but the manga rather than the anime. Maybe judging it by the anime was unfair. And with such great design and concepts, I really wanna like it!

Also, rewatching Fooly Cooly, a bit of Bobobo still, and um...I guess Cutie Honey Flash. For whatever reason. It's basically Sailor Moon. I know, I know, but I actually have a decent excuse for being interested. There's a newer OVA called Re: Cutie Honey and the first episode is directed by the guy who worked on Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking. Also, I believe Gainax animated it as well. Though I can't seem to find a subtitled version or a dub online :c
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Patrick » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Cutie Honey is amazing, but aside from the whole "magical girl" thing it isn't much like Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon never threw gratuitous amounts of boobs, butts and incredibly phallic imagery at you. It's definitely possible to find it online on various torrent sites, but it was never licensed by anyone so there's no dub.

On a similar note, a bunch of ex-Gainax guys who worked on Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking have a new ongoing web series called Inferno Cop which sure is something. This season I've really just been watching that and Chihayafuru.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Windstar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:02 am

I am somewhat afraid and distrustful of torrents :/

Yeah I think I read the original Cutie Honey is some sort of sex symbol heroine. I guess Cutie Honey Flash is a more kid-friendly re-imagining of it. I believe the Sailor Moon team actually animated Cutie Honey Flash too.

And Inferno Cop was...interesting. I was expecting that traditional Gainax flippy, twitchy animation.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby TiggyPudding » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Yay, about time this thread got bumped! Wow, looks like I already have some new animes to add to the backlog :p

But anyways, today I went to the MCM Comic-con in Telford. I've had such an awesome day! :3 I went cosplayed as Erza, but forgot to take any pics of myself >.> My costume was really popular anyways, I got asked to do loads of photos ^-^ It was kinda annoying to take my glasses on/off all day but oh well. A couple of creppy guys kept following me around trying to stare at my ass in the short skirt, I was so close to giving them a good slapping >:/ But yeah anyway, my Brother came with me cosplaying as Dick Gumshoe and his fiance came as Maggey Byrde. They looked really good and got quite a bit of attention :D
While I was there I bought loads of cool shiz too, I got Panty & Stocking on DVD, Viewtiful Joe 1 &2 (I played them before but I didn't own my own copies until today), I got a little Keroro charm and a Tamama figure construction set sort of thing. I also got a few cute badges and a little Layton figure. Oh, and I bought two new tees (a Pikachu one and a Totoro one) but I bought a Large which is way too big D:

The only thing that kinda bummed me out about the day was that Drippy from Ni no kuni's voice actor was supposed to be at the con signing things, but he canceled at the last minute :'( Apart from that though, it was all good! One of the best days out I've had in a long time ^_^
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby thomas » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:47 pm

I've seen, like, 0 anime the past 2 months :(
thomas
Bowser
Bowser