All things anime / manga / otaku

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Re: All things anime / manga / otaku

Postby Windstar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 pm

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. Other than being stalked by creepers. I want a Totoro shirt too!
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 am

Sounds like you had fun, Tiggy! Now, go play some VJ :p

It would be hilarious to dress up like Batman and scare creeps that stalk girls. You hear that? Yup, thats the sound of something I have to do eventually.
The Owls Are Not What They Seem
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Patrick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 am

I cosplayed as Finn from Adventure Time once - way before it was a completely overdone costume. Of course this had the unfortunate side-effect of only one person recognising who I was. Thank you, random Trucy Wright cosplayer!

And no there aren't any pictures please don't bother looking.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby ehead » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 am

I'd buy a Finn hat. That's about it. :D

Also, I've seen some FMA: Brotherhood episodes. I missed this show, I guess its time to buy a collection or something.
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Windstar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:14 pm

{not anime}Speaking of Finn's hat, isn't he supposed to be getting a new hat soon? I was kind of more excited about that than the new Fionna and Cake episode but I still loved it. Also I noticed Marshall Lee is voiced by Donald Glover aka Troy from Community. They could not have picked a more fitting voice!

I loved the songs too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZE_ckCy1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstaZopcA5E{/not anime}

Also, I'm enjoying Soul eater more now. I guess pacing was my issue, I can get through the boring parts a lot faster just reading it, and the fighting is great to watch. I'm considering going to the anime just to see the fights. I hope the animation does it justice. And I can overlook the blatant fan-service with Blair since I was feel it's somewhat understandable because she's a cat and cat's are huge sluts :excuseme:
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby TiggyPudding » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

I was actually looking for a Finn hat but I didn't find one :'( My hair doesn't agree with hats anyways, it makes it go all staticky and stick up. Speaking of which Finn's getting a new hat!? :O

/back on topic: Glad to hear you're finally getting into Soul Eater! Just be warned: About halfway through the story gets kinda boring and wierd. Still worth a read/watch though.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby Windstar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 pm

I thought it was sort of implied he's getting a new hat. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it but at the end he says "let's find me a new hat" or something because his old hat came to life. Maybe he'll just find a new hat that's the same style, idk.

I will beware! Though if they can still introduce a steady amount of cool characters and cool fighting, I think it should still keep me interested.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby ehead » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:24 am

So lets talk about our favorite arcs in anime/manga.

Dragonball Z: Cell Saga - In my opinion, this is the best arc for the series. SSJ 2 Gohan is the most badass reveal I've seen in anime. Also, a great throwback to the tournament days in Dragonballs.

FMA: I don't think its really an arc but the three-way battle of Elric bros. vs. Scar vs. Homunculi is very memorable.

Bleach: Espada arc. I don't really have much to say about this series, they fight stuff and get stronger each time. Espada arc though had the best fight scenes in the series.

As for One Piece: SO MANY I CAN'T EVEN LIST THEM. :)
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby TiggyPudding » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Okay I'm gonna be stupid now: what's an arc?
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby Windstar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Arcs are like different stories within a single manga or anime. Like how DBZ has the Raditz Saga, Frieza Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga, Bebe saga, etc.

Cell Saga was definitely the best in DBZ. I loved the Androids. I don't recall them killing anyone. They just sort of went around messing stuff up. And Cell being one of Gero's creations was also a good drawback to the Dragon Ball days when Goku would constantly fight the Red Ribbon Army. One thing I really loved, there was this "oh, shit" moment in the Cell Saga where Piccolo says something like that "Gohan isn't like you. He isn't a fighter, he doesn't wanna be stronger. Right now, he's probably out there thinking why his own father is making him do this alone." And Goku goes from a totally confident expression to completely shocked or sort of regretful.

Bleach's best arc was definitely the espada arc too. (I haven't finished it, I'm still watching it on Toonami but I'm enjoying it.) Not just with the fighting but I loved the story and how it explains Aizen's experiments and how the Vizards came to be and their pasts with the Soul Society. everything tied in so nicely with that.

Naruto, I haven't seen the new ones but I remember a few years ago, I loved the arc where the Genins (Naruto, Choji, Shikamaru, Neji, Kiba, Gaara, and I think Rock Lee) are fighting Orochimaru's henchmen. I thought it really fleshed out their abilities and showed us what they were really capable of. Though I can't recall every arc (I'm rewatching it on Toonami but I'm still on the Haku/Zabuza arc) so this is subject to change. Though the arc with Orochimaru fighting the Third Hokage was pretty amazing too.

One Piece, this one is so hard. There are so many great story arcs, it's hard to choose. Not just in terms of fighting and story but emotion as well. The Whitebeard War had a great combination of general badassery and emotional depth. You get to see all the Marine Fleet Admiral, Admirals, Vice Admirals, Coby, all the Pirate Warlords, plus a bunch of old villains like Crocodile and Number 1, plus Whitebeard's entire fleet and all of his awesome crew members. Then Blackbeard shows up later, it was just amazing man.

Fairy Tail, as many unique and brilliant things this anime could have theoretically, none of it is really executed to it's full potential. But one arc that sticks out in my head is the edolas arc. The characters are transported into an alternate version of their world where humans don't use magic. And they meet alternate versions of themselves and there's this King who wants to steal the magic from their original dimension to fuel their world of dying magic. It was really interesting. And they also introduced some interesting characters like Sugar Boy, Hughes, and Panther Lily. And there's also sort of a feud with the Royals and the race of exceeds (flying cat things).
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 am

GT is best arc/season youguyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
The Owls Are Not What They Seem
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby ehead » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:32 am

Surely you don't mean Dragonball Great Turd? :troll:
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby TiggyPudding » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Guys, I need some anime-related advice.

1. Can someone reccomend to me some new animes to watch? I've gone through loads of my backlog this week :/ I like funny anime, and I also like plenty of action. Anything along those lines would be great!

2. I need Cosplay advice! the three of us that cosplayed last week want to group-cosplay at our next con and we're stuck for ideas. There's me, I'm fairly tall, I have medium length dark blonde - light brown hair. I'm average chested so I can't do a character with ridiculous boobs. (Well I could always stuff a few socks down there if need be I guess.) I'm not afraid to show some skin but my Mum wouldn't be happy if I went out in anything too skimpy. And there's my brother who is fairly average build and has short brown hair. He's not very muscley though so he couldn't pull off a character who's ripped or anything. And there's also his fiancee. She's pretty short, and she has really long dark brown hair. I don't think she'd want to show much skin however, so she would need a costume that's fairly covering. We all wear glasses, but could take them off, and all three of us are okay with wigs. Thanks guys! :3
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby thomas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Here's my list of favourite anime:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/bakuha ... =0&order=4

Baccano! or NHK maybe? Detroit Metal City if you're up for something a little ruder.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Windstar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Fooly Cooly is funny and actiony. And they shouldn't be too hard to cosplay. Unless you're going to dress as the robot. And it's only 6 episodes!

As far as goofy anime goes, there's Ninja Nonsense. I think I mentioned it before. It is pretty vulgar and fan-servicey though.

I recall Zatch Bell being really goofy and actiony but I haven't see that in so long. I've been meaning to watch it though.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge