"Next-gen" shenanigans

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

"Next-gen" shenanigans

Postby ehead » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 am

So apparently Sony and Microsoft will be announcing their next-gen systems soon. Sony is expected to release info on the 20th while MS will follow shortly. I am also seeing listings for PS4 and Xbox720 (pretty hilarious) in different online vg stores. What are your reactions on this? Will you be getting one? Will Nintendo be doomed once they are released?

With some rumors regarding MS's plan to make the system always online and have no used games policy, its certainly a deal breaker for me. Plus, it'll most probably have a XBL fee or something. As for Sony's console, it certainly looks promising. Touchpad on the controller, better hardware specs (at least according to rumors), more established first-party IPs, etc.. Only problem, though, is that they might do a $599 again. But it looks to be the best partner for a Nintendo gamer (well, PC is pretty much universal, so that too).
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Re: "Next-gen" shenanigans

Postby Ron » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:03 am

I'm ready for next gen. I feel like we've got the most out of the current consoles and its time for new hardware. While rumors with the always online going for the nextbox, keep in mind Sony actually patented software for that very feature as well as no used games being playable. So it's not just Microsoft. Ill be getting the 720(?) first day it releases, me and some boys at work are ready for it. I don't think Nintendos doomed though. I think people, like me, are buying it for the first-party titles. Not too interested in ports and the blockbuster games that release for the 3 consoles, ill just get on the 720.
Ron
Blarg
Blarg

Postby TiggyPudding » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm not really that bothered about the PS4/720. At the moment my Wii U and PS3 do pretty much everything I could want (Apart from like making me Cheese Toasties and things but hey). At some point I'll probably get a PS4, but definitley not Day 1. Maybe in a few years time when the price comes down or something.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby thomas » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm really not on board if all they do is make the graphics look soopah-doopah photorealistic. It'll make games more expensive, it'll put more developers in financial trouble and - most importantly - it leads to less creativity and more safe sequels in safe genres. I can also see many developers move to casual platforms (phones/tablets) if that happens. And a strengthening of the indie videogame industry, which aren't focused on graphics.

I don't care about online, I don't care about DLC, I don't care about graphics. I do care about indie support, so hopefully we see App Store-like variants on both new systems.

I don't know what my next console will be. It might be a Wii U (seems inevitable that I'll get one eventually), or a PS3 or 360. It likely won't be a $500 "next-gen" machine, unless they manage to convince me. What might convince me? A plethora of new franchises (that aren't shooters). Won't happen, obviously. The same thing that happened last gen is more likely to happen: I'll pick up a PS4/NextBox when the generation is almost over.

(Speaking of which, when I've got the money I'll likely start a thread and let people convince me which to get: a PS3 or 360 :p )

Props to Nintendo for actually kind-of interesting me with their MiiVerse, I could see myself use that even if I loathe the Xbox Live community.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Windstar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 pm

I would get a Sony console. I literally can't think of anything on the Xbox that would interest me. Though with Sony, I can immediately think of a few off the top of my head that I've been played or been wanting to play. Fat Princess Fistful of Cake, Little Big Planet, LocoRoco, Patapon, God of War, Sly Cooper, Devil May Cry, Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, Parappa the Rapper, Beyond Good & evil, Metal gear, probably more.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby thomas » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Well, Xbox mostly has its indie goodness, but I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll start a new one for that.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Patrick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:07 pm

On the one hand the rumours that both Sony and Microsoft's new consoles will lock out used copies of games sounds awfully anti-consumer and will probably annoy a lot of retailers to the point where they won't stock their games, but on the other hand I kind of want to see all Gamestops (and Gamestop equivalent) burn to the ground.

I can't imagine I'll be buying any new consoles on launch day since I mainly just play games on handheld consoles now anyway, but I'm interested to see what they bring to the table.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby ehead » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Oh I forgot about the Ouya, Nvidia SHIELD and Steambox (not really new, but yeah). The next few years will certainly be interesting.

And I agree with thomas, XBL has a great DD lineup. However, it seems like Steam is getting those too (Deadlight, Mark of the Ninja, Insanely Twisted Shadow, etc.) maybe because of those insane patching fees.

As for companies, I see EA becoming more douch-ier next gen. Activision will still be Activision but they will still support Nintendo. Square Enix will focus more on mobile platforms except for Eidos, Crystal Dynamics (mostly their Western devs).
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby pie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I would buy a PS4 around launch if it has a solid line-up and a modest price point (did I use all the vocabs right?)
pie
Toad
Toad

Nintendo Network ID: SuperZelda
3DS Friend Code: 0259 0329 9318

Postby Sr.Gabo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:19 am

I dont like any of MS exclusives, so Ill get a PS4. Eventually. Right now I want a WiiU, but I know Im going to need a PS4 (or 720) To get a better experience this "gen".
The Owls Are Not What They Seem
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby ehead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Sony's event is on the 20th. Anyone watching? Also, ND on the 14th and Bungie Destiny reveal on the 17th. Next-gen stuff, here we go??
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Postby TiggyPudding » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 am

Yeah, I'll probably check it out. It better be filled with comedy gold like the '06 E3 :p
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby thomas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 am

Can someone post a reminder on the 19th? >_> I'm likely to forget, but I'd like to watch
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Valay » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm

ehead wrote:Sony's event is on the 20th. Anyone watching? Also, ND on the 14th and Bungie Destiny reveal on the 17th. Next-gen stuff, here we go??

I'll be watching of course! I'm very excited to see what Sony has up its sleeves, but I probably won't be getting the console at launch given my huge backlog. I'm expecting a somewhat high price point as well. Bungie's Destiny looks to be current-gen for now, though maybe there's next-gen SKUs in the works too.

thomas wrote:Can someone post a reminder on the 19th? >_> I'm likely to forget, but I'd like to watch

You should visit GE. Then you'll always be reminded. :up:
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID: ValayNE
3DS Friend Code: 0774-424445455
Wii number: 7994-0434-6099-6888

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 am

I hope we get some MGS goodness!!
The Owls Are Not What They Seem
Sr.Gabo