Non-popular series entries that you like the most

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Non-popular series entries that you like the most

Postby Valay » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 pm

This is kind of in response to Super Paper Mario, which is my favorite in the series. Yep, that's my favorite Paper Mario game. Now, I still haven't played the GameCube one for whatever reason and the 3DS title is in my backlog, but I adored Super Paper Mario. That's a very unpopular opinion!

Anything like this for you guys?
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID: ValayNE
3DS Friend Code: 0774-424445455
Wii number: 7994-0434-6099-6888

Re: Non-popular series entries that you like the most

Postby pie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Well in response to Paper Mario, the Gamecube is my favorite followed Super Paper Mario. I'm not sure if I really like games in a series that people hate. In reverse, Uncharted 2 is my least favorite (Not counting Vita) and it seems to be the most liked one.
pie
Toad
Toad

Nintendo Network ID: SuperZelda
3DS Friend Code: 0259 0329 9318

Postby Patrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is the only half-decent Golden Sun game. I wouldn't call them my favourite games in the series, but I really like Final Fantasy VIII and X-2. Also, the Tactics Advance games are way better than the original Final Fantasy Tactics.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Sr.Gabo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Not that I can think of.
The Owls Are Not What They Seem
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Windstar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series are probably the most overlooked Sonic series entries.

I love Sonic Advance, even more than the Genesis games. I just think it looks better and it's a lot more forgiving, plus there's so many characters to play as.

Sonic Rush is probably the ideal Sonic game for people who don't like Sonic. It takes out a lot of the platforming mechanics that would normally kind of break Sonic's momentum so it's like a constant adrenaline rush all the way through the level. Also some funky music by Hideki Naganuma who also composed for Jet Set Radio.

I don't know if I should say Chibi-Robo since it's the most popular in it's franchise despite being generally unpopular. But I just really love that game and I hate that I'll probably never play the third installment :c
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby ehead » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 am

Metroid Fusion. I liked it better than Super Metroid (I think). I never also finished the Prime games except for Corruption, I liked that the best.
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Windstar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am

I loved Fusion! Those segments when you're completely defenseless being chased by the other Samus were genuinely scary.

That reminds me, I also really liked the Mega Man Legends series. I like that this was so different compared to previous Mega Man games, it was more open-world, large cast of colorful characters, Roll was human (and has her own story in Legends 2), and I liked that you had to buy/make weapon attachments rather than copying enemies. Also it is interesting to think that this game takes places thousands of years after Mega Man X but the world looks way less futuristic. Actually, there seems to be a lot more nature than machinery. But there are sort of underground mechanical ruins and it seems that no one really knew how they got there. I think it implies some sort of event wrecked everything and when you consider Mega Man's past is kind of an integral part of the story, it makes you wonder. 'Tis a shame there won't be a Legends 3 to tie these loose ends.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby TiggyPudding » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 pm

About Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door is my favourite. Super's probably my least favourite :P (close between that and Sticker Star but SS had more humor)

And I had no idea there was a third Chibi-Robo! I know there was the GC one (which I played to absolute death), and Park Patrol. Was the third another DS one or something?

Megaman Starforce is the first game (well, series) that comes to mind. Personally I really enjoyed them but everyone I speak to about it says there were mediocre at best :'(
And the only other game I can think of is the second Phoenix Wright. It's often thought of as the worst one but it was one of my favourite games o the series :p Same with Apollo Justice, actually.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby incominggame » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm

The only game I can think of is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days. It's a close call, but it's my favorite game in the series so far (haven't played birth by sleep, Re:coded and dream,drop,distance yet). I liked the subdivision of the game in missions, it really suited the DS well. I also liked the fact we get to see more of the organisation and the explanation of what happened between kindgom hearts 1 and kingdom hearts 2.
incominggame
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Sr.Gabo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:58 pm

I love Fusion, Other M is the black sheep.
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby pie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 am

Oh I like Other M! but considering I've only played a few hours in to most metroid games, and never played Super Metroid thats not a series I can comment on.
pie
Toad
Toad

Nintendo Network ID: SuperZelda
3DS Friend Code: 0259 0329 9318

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:46 am

I havent play it, but it is very controversial, from what I read online.
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby TiggyPudding » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:11 pm

I've played the first Metroid but that's about it :P (I really should get on top of that)
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby thomas » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Double Dash used to be the black sheep (mostly among retro snobs though), it's my fav.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Windstar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:45 am

TiggyPudding wrote:And I had no idea there was a third Chibi-Robo! I know there was the GC one (which I played to absolute death), and Park Patrol. Was the third another DS one or something?

Megaman Starforce is the first game (well, series) that comes to mind. Personally I really enjoyed them but everyone I speak to about it says there were mediocre at best :'(
Yeah the third Chibi-Robo was a DS Japan exclusive. You can see some footage here. It looks so great :'[

I liked Star Force as well, it seemed like most people complaints were that it was basically Battle Network but your movement was even more limited. I can see why they wouldn't like it as much. Battle Network series is fun though. If you decide to try that, just skip to the second game. The first one has a lot of stupid puzzles that amount to little more than guessing. It ruined the game for me.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Next

Return to The Lounge