NEBC - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Week 2)

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

NEBC - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Week 2)

Postby Austin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Here we go again! I haven't played yet this week so I'll pop back in as soon as I get through the sections.

"How far do I have to get this week?"

Obtain the second and third stars in the game for this week! Stop as soon as you get to a save point after obtaining Star #3.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Re: NEBC - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Week

Postby dane » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 pm

I just got done listening to the Podcast and you guys had some interesting topics on the game. One thing I have to say is Laura should really be more open to this game! She basically said she hates the game but didn't give a clear reason why. That is the idea of a book club, to sort of step out of the box of what you normally read (or in this case play), and if you don't like it critique it and give your reasoning.

Anyways, does anyone else think this is one of the best soundtracks ever!? I think it is one of the greatest things about this game, that and Geno of course!
dane
Goomba
Goomba

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby Hoggy110 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:18 am

dane wrote:Anyways, does anyone else think this is one of the best soundtracks ever!? I think it is one of the greatest things about this game, that and Geno of course!

From what I heard with the first week, I say that the soundtrack is really really good
Hoggy110
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

3DS Friend Code: 3110-5652-5806

Postby TiggyPudding » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Oh yes, the music's very addictive. The battle theme is my current ringtone :p (I was going to make it my alarm tone but I already have the Jaws music as my alarm so didn't want to replace that :/)

But anyways, roughly how many hours does it take to get the next two stars?
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby dane » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 pm

It took me about five or six hours including messing around with the mini games. Very proud to say I got all 100 coins from the Midas River course! One of the most difficult video game accomplishments for me! ^_^
dane
Goomba
Goomba

Postby oshualewis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 am

Just got done with this week's chapter and I've got to say Geno has lived up to his reputation haha. I loved the oart with the little boy and geno also I've notice a ton of hidden scenes like if you talk to frogcoios(spelling?) Mallo's dad or grandpa he'll give you a staff for Mallo also the little boy will geno a weapon if you go back and talk to him.
I love how interactive the game is!
oshualewis
Blooper
Blooper

Nintendo Network ID: oshualewis
3DS Friend Code: 4554-0047-6652

Postby Sgamer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Just heard your podcast it was really good. Laura should keep playing her negative made it more interesting to listen.
Sgamer
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Windstar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 am

Man I'm falling in love with this game all over again. For some reason I was absolutely horrible at the Yoshi mini-game, I remember beating Boshi on the first try when I first played it. I also sucked at the waterfall segment but I skipped the tutorials so that's probably why.

The fighting seemed a lot less tedious during these segments. There is the timed hits and timed defense that adds depth and makes the fighting more interactive. And I noticed like with the bee enemies in the forest, if you kill everyone but the bee, it'll just flee the battle. I thought it was a cool touch for people who noticed that and used it to end battles slightly quicker. And I also noticed there were enemies that were very vulnerable to magic (the floaty enemy with balloons that kinda looked like shells) and enemies that were vulnerable to normal attacks (the hairy ones in the mine).

Also, an interesting thing I noticed during the Croco and Punchinello boss battles was that your regular attacks did more damage than your special attacks on the boss. (except for Mario's Super Jump). However with the regular bomb enemies in Punchinello's fight, your special attacks did more damage than your normal attacks. I guess the bosses have higher magic defense and the normal enemies have higher regular defense? I actually really like that they did that. It makes special and regular moves seem equally important during battle rather than the normal attacks just being a substitution to conserve magic and take out the weaker enemies. It's just a fun thought that if one were to assume the special attack is always stronger than you would have been using Geno Whirl on the boss over and over, not realizing your normal attack would be doing more damage. And you'd save FP.

And bosses can run out of FP, Punchinello did during my battle.
Windstar
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Austin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 am

I am paying attention to this thread, but I haven't caught up (I'm still stuck in the got dang sewer-- what the heck is this?) so I'm not reading anything to avoid spoilers. Keep talking though, because the best comments will be taken and brought into the podcast!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby oshualewis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Just wanted Austin to know I started banjo kazooie again cuz of his comments on it lol. Thanks dude it does rock just as much as I remember. I never owned it but I traded my friend yoshi's story for it haha. ^_^
oshualewis
Blooper
Blooper

Nintendo Network ID: oshualewis
3DS Friend Code: 4554-0047-6652

Postby cadjr2003 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 am

Austin wrote:I am paying attention to this thread, but I haven't caught up (I'm still stuck in the got dang sewer-- what the heck is this?) so I'm not reading anything to avoid spoilers. Keep talking though, because the best comments will be taken and brought into the podcast!

I'm a little behind for the week too. Just got the second star and made it to the next town.

---------------------------------------

Still so many creepy enemies in this game. Shadow, looks like a hitchhiker that died and who's ghost got trapped in the sewers. Hobgoblin, is pretty creepy. It looks like it should be in some Halloween movie or game.

Also what's with Octolot? I guess they must have decided to put a Legend of Zelda reference in the game. Also the chained up Donkey Kong AKA Guerilla. I feel bad for DK being chained up :sad: .

The forest maze was a pain in the butt. I'm surprised I made it through there. Bowyer (Bowzer with a y?) was kind of a pain to beat. He ended up beating Geno pretty easy. This was the first fight I actually had to keep using mushrooms to heal myself.
cadjr2003
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Nintendo Network ID: cadjr2003
3DS Friend Code: 2535-3620-0963

Postby TiggyPudding » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

God, I've gotten so behind. Still in the bloody annoying sewer >.> I'm just gonna have to push through it. It'll get better.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby Austin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:27 pm

TiggyPudding wrote:God, I've gotten so behind. Still in the bloody annoying sewer >.> I'm just gonna have to push through it. It'll get better.

Don't feel bad: I just got out of the bloody annoying sewer as well not too long ago. Worst section of the game so far with all those respawning rats that I don't give two fucks about fighting, but then you try and avoid them and they pop out of the walls and attack you and augh. It sucks. The section immediately following that is FANTASTIC though, and arguably the best part of the game so far.

-----------------------------------

Honestly, one of my favorite sequences in a game that I've played in a long time is the short bit with the toys when Mario walks in and sees the young toad playing with toys of Mario/Bowser/Peach, and he has Bowser "beat" Mario. The whole section following (animations especially, but dialogue as well) is wonderful, and being forced to "play" with the Toad was so perfect. It really echoes Paper Mario in its ability to tell exactly when you're getting annoyed with the battling gameplay (which is pretty annoying usually, but gets extremely frustrating at times, like the Sewers) and throw some new stuff at you: Dialogue, story bits, composing a song in Tadpole whateverland, going down the waterfall/on the barrels, etc.

Honestly, I don't know if Intelligent System and Square from 1996 share staffers, but it feels equally as expertly paced as something like Fire Emblem or Paper Mario. Truly fantastic work, and something so many games forget to pay attention to.

Here's another question: Did anyone (and again, I'm still somewhat behind) find that Belome was EASILY the weirdest enemy so far? He's a four eyed dog that says things like "I can't stand it anymore" seemingly for no reason, turns Mario into a scarecrow, eats Mallow various times... gah, it's so weird! Almost frightening!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby SKrumrie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 pm

The shadow monsters in the sewer look like chocolate Ace Ventura's to me.
SKrumrie
Goomba
Goomba

Nintendo Network ID: SKrumrie
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4785-4098

Postby cadjr2003 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:20 am

Austin wrote:Here's another question: Did anyone (and again, I'm still somewhat behind) find that Belome was EASILY the weirdest enemy so far? He's a four eyed dog that says things like "I can't stand it anymore" seemingly for no reason, turns Mario into a scarecrow, eats Mallow various times... gah, it's so weird! Almost frightening!

I actually thought that his weirdness made him funny.

Did anybody else find Punchinello to be really easy? All you needed to do was focus attacks on him and he was finished fairly quickly. All the other boss battles seemed to take sooo much longer.
I liked Punchinello too. He was trying to become famous by beating Mario. I liked how they made him have a "short fuse" (pun intended) and that ultimately led up to his own demise.
cadjr2003
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Nintendo Network ID: cadjr2003
3DS Friend Code: 2535-3620-0963

Next

Return to The Lounge