What are you playing right now?(This is the best sticky)

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Re: What are you playing right now?(This is the best sticky)

Postby Patrick » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm

thomas wrote:Any Advance Wars players here?

YES

I didn't really have any issues with it, but I can see how Dual Strike could be overwhelming if it's the first game in the series that you've played. I thought the campaign mode did a decent job of explaining the mechanics, though it must be hard to keep track of the abilities of 20+ COs and all the units. Keep sticking with it because when Advance Wars clicks it's absolutely fantastic.

Now I'm playing Advance Wars.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby thomas » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 pm

I heard Days of Ruin is easier and has more focus on strategy rather than all those extra things (CO powers and such), maybe that's more my cup of tea?

Some other things that confuse me in Advance Wars: Some units can't move and attack in one turn, when can I even build units?, my anti-aircraft unit couldn't fire on anything (until suddenly it could fire at a tank, wtf?), how do those icons of what they're strong/weak against work? They're several colours and shapes and I don't think they were ever explained...

It's odd anyway cause I remember being able to play Fire Emblem just fine...
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Windstar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:19 am

@thomas: I'm about 11 hours in and I just got into Taka Pass and fought Waka (Love this guy btw, he's my wallpaper now) for the second time.

I've only played the first Advance Wars on the GBA and I thought it was pretty darned great once you memorize what everything does.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Patrick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 am

thomas wrote:I heard Days of Ruin is easier and has more focus on strategy rather than all those extra things (CO powers and such), maybe that's more my cup of tea?

Some other things that confuse me in Advance Wars: Some units can't move and attack in one turn, when can I even build units?, my anti-aircraft unit couldn't fire on anything (until suddenly it could fire at a tank, wtf?), how do those icons of what they're strong/weak against work? They're several colours and shapes and I don't think they were ever explained...

It's odd anyway cause I remember being able to play Fire Emblem just fine...

Days of Ruin definitely isn't easier (I couldn't make it through the final mission without a guide), but it does get rid of gimmicky things like the 2 CO mechanic. CO powers are still there but you can't use them as frequently because you actually have to dispatch your commander as a unit. Other than a few mechanical changes and the darker presentation it's pretty much the same game, though.

Yeah, the icons are horrible and never really explained. The basic rule is that all ground units (except missiles) can fire at each other. It gets a bit more complex when air and sea units are added into the mix, but it's not too hard to figure out which unit attacks what (e.g. Fighter planes only attack air units and Bombers attack ground and sea ones). The only units that can't move and attack in the same turn are the ones that can attack from a distance (Artillery, Rockets, Battleships and Missiles). I can't remember when building units is actually introduced in the campaign mode, but once you have access to factories, airports and seaports you can construct a unit on them every turn if you have the funds (there's also an incredibly broken character who can build units on any city). They won't be able to move or attack on the first turn, but you can move them afterwards.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Patrick
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby thomas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:26 am

I guess factories etc haven't been introduced yet, then. It's really weird because it does tell you how much money you have (and at the end it tells you how many units you've build). Anyway I restarted the game and played through the first 3 missions, see if I missed anything.

Not a big fan of the "fog of war". How are you supposed to strategise when you have no idea what's waiting for you?

@Windstar: Just reading that makes me want to replay Okami. Wonder how long it'll take you. I didn't do many side-missions and it took me close to 60 hours.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby TiggyPudding » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:19 am

I really want Okami :s I've played through some of Okamiden but a lot of the story didn't really make sense :/

@thomas: I've played the first Advance Wars. Took a while to get used to everything, but it's very fun once you get the hang of it. That's a game I should get back into at some point, actually.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby thomas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am

No offense to Okamiden but Okami is much, much better
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby L.A.C. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Nintendo Land, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, New Super Mario Bros. U and Kirby's Epic Yarn.
All great games, I might add.
L.A.C.
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Nintendo Network ID: Lwiis64

Postby ehead » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 pm

I just learned that Advanced Wars is a series which started way back the SNES era. :O

Also, haven't played Okamiden yet but I really can say that Okami is definitely one of the best experiences I had on the Wii. Also, the series should be made for consoles, you'll need a larger screen to appreciate the art in the game.

@L.A.C.: How is Batman: Arkham City AE? Are reviewers exaggerating on the visuals aspect? Or its true but pretty much unnoticeable?
ehead
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Wii number: ####-####-####-####

Postby thomas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm

ehead wrote:I just learned that Advanced Wars is a series which started way back the SNES era. :O

*NES

Also, haven't played Okamiden yet but I really can say that Okami is definitely one of the best experiences I had on the Wii. Also, the series should be made for consoles, you'll need a larger screen to appreciate the art in the game.

That, and the combat's a lot less fun in the DS one. And they focus more on combat there. You also never have to combine your brush techniques for puzzles, they're basically a cakewalk. And there are like no extra brush techniques, despite it being a sequel. Mind you, even with all that it's still good. But not great.
thomas
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Sr.Gabo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 am

Im playing Pokemon Platinum. I missed this game.
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Sr.Gabo wrote:Im playing Pokemon Platinum. I missed this game.

Best Pokemon game in my opinion since Gen II. Haven't played Black/White 2 though.
Ron
Blarg
Blarg

Postby pie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Ron wrote:

Best Pokemon game in my opinion since Gen II. Haven't played Black/White 2 though.

No, Emerald is the best, not counting the Gen 2 remakes.
pie
Toad
Toad

Nintendo Network ID: SuperZelda
3DS Friend Code: 0259 0329 9318

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:21 am

pie wrote:
Ron wrote:

No, Emerald is the best, not counting the Gen 2 remakes.

I couldn't really get into Gen III at all.
Ron
Blarg
Blarg

Postby TiggyPudding » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 am

To me, you can't beat gen 2 and gen 3. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire was my childhood, dammit.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge