The Pony Topic

Discuss anything that does not fall under topics mentioned in the other boards.

Re: The Pony Topic

Postby Shade » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:29 am

Okay, so, we have some good news and some bad news.

Bad news is, season four, despite my previous assumption that we would have a shorter wait between seasons, won't be airing until winter. That's kind of a long wait. The good news? Our fellow bronies have got our backs by creating the first ever, full-length, fan-made episode: Double Rainboom. Actually, it's even longer than a full-length episode at a whole thirty minutes. Now, because I won't get to do it for more than half a year, I'mma give a recap. For the record, I'm not exactly going to give this "episode" the same scrutiny I would give an actual episode due mostly to the fact that they took some creative liberties that the show's studio just can't (and boy, do they ever). So, does it stack up to the show itself in animation, presentation, and overall quality? SPOILER: Yes. Very much so. I'm going to say right off the bat, the animation, the music, the voice work, everything is super top notch. Seriously, some parts of this thing look even better than the actual show. I'm saying this now to get it out of the way, cuz this is mostly going to be a game of "Spot the References", cuz there's a lot. Think you can get 'em all?

There's only one way to start this recap off:
Internet memes. Fans can't make anything without throwing in a few internet memes. The friggin' name of the "episode" is a goddamn meme!

And so begins our little game. This shot just shows a few character references. I felt this particular one was most appropriate for a gaming-focused forum, but there a several more references to popular cartoons and anime in this scene.

And another immediately after it. I recognize a few characters here, like Perry the Platypus, Roo and his mom, the snake chick from Kung Fu Panda, and Leafeon. Not sure about the rest, though I doubt a Rhinoceros with goggles isn't a reference to something.

Don't be fooled. This face means bad things. Very bad things.

Teleport Tackle!

You thought of one of two things when you saw this: Either kinky-sexy-time or "Cupcakes". If you thought of both, then you have some serious problems that should be addressed immediately.

That Companion Cube is probably the most subtle reference you're going to get.

This is probably a throwback to that one time where Twilight's hair turned into Rarity's. Can we count the Harley Quinn in the background? We already had a reference to her, so should that count as one or two?

Derpy's appearance was pretty much a guarantee from the get-go, but I don't really like what they did here, it just seemed...cruel. You'll have to watch it to understand what I mean. But I suppose it falls in line with what's about to happen.

Fandom reference! For the record, we're not counting those. Just thought I'd make note of it.

I'm not really a fan of pointless cameos, but for this guy I'll make an exception.

Is this a reference? It looks an awful lot like Domo Kun, so maybe? Eh, doesn't really matter since there's another Domo Kun reference later.

Another fandom reference! Technically she's not drunk (as far as we know), but all that "grape juice" certainly seems to be hinting at something.

"Sweet Celestia...it's...beautiful.

This, coupled with Rainbow Dash hovering in the planet's atmosphere, is starting to seem awfully reminiscent of the latest chapter of CRISIS: Equestria.

Dude...

Very, very, bad. That just one-eighty-ed so quick my neck hurts.

I'm on the fence about this one. What do you think: Back to the Future reference or no?

Brace yourselves, guys. Things are about to get weird.

Huh. Well, that's Johnny Bravo. Chalk up another--

What the--? It's like they're not even trying to be subtle anymore! What giv--

...Oh. Oooooohhhhh. Okay, uh...gonna be honest here, did not see that one coming. Um...for those of you keeping score, this isn't a reference. This is actually what's happening now.

I don't care how big you are, if you get hit by something that weighs as much as a pony moving faster than the speed of sound, you'll be the proud, new owner of an extra chest cavity.

Awww, he can give puppy dog eyes better than most puppy dogs.

And then he gets the crap beat out of him anyways. What we're seeing here is a difference in morals. Even Rainbow Dash, an aggressive, muscle-headed individual, shows mercy when she knows she has the upper hand. The Powerpuff Girls, on the other hand, prefer to teach their villains a lesson via a thorough butt-whoopin'. It goes to show the differences between not only universes and heroes, but between different shows. ...Am I actually making this analogy right now? What the hell is going on?! What am I watching?!

That is one, very unamused Rainbow Dash. I just love the facial expressions throughout this whole thing.

Okay, so that's the Cartoon Network building back there, but I'm not sure if that sandwich place is a reference or not.

I suppose that's the look any girl would have if they'd suddenly been mounted...I'm sorry.

So, we have a Toy Story reference, a shout-out to welovefine.com, and, I'm not sure, but that cat might be a reference to PixelKitties, a well-known artist in the brony community.

And a shout-out to Equestria Daily.

And there's the T.A.R.D.I.S. Doctor Hooves has already made a few appearances, but this is the first direct reference to Doctor Who. Then again, it could just be your run-of-the-mill, 1930's police box.

We cannot, and likely never will, know what it feels like to get wing cramps, but suffice to say I felt a twinge in my shoulder blades when this happened.

Am I the only one who was legitimately terrified when Twilight put on that expression? I actually flinched when she looked at me.

See? There's the other Domo Kun. There's some other stuff there too, like a Raggedy Anne doll, but I'm clueless about the other stuff.

And so we get deus ex Pinkamena to get things back to normal (wait, what?).

Back to the void of Television Land, this time with a bunch of Hub references.

Yeah, don't think going to another universe is going fix all the problems you caused, Rainbow Dash.

Apparently, the fabric of time and space tastes like snozberries. I guess that's one mystery solved. Next mystery: The hell are snozberries and what do they taste like?

And one more for good measure. Has anyone been keeping count? Yeah, me neither.

Well, I guess if I counted the troll face, I gotta count this one too.

And thus we have the first, full-length, fan-made episode, and it was nothing short of spectacular. I swear, the animation was better in places than the actual show, and having multiple artist lend their talents to the project just made it all the more pretty to look at. It...kind of threw me for a loop for a while there, but it was so well made that it was still really enjoyable. Hopefully the fans can put together more projects like this in the future. Stuff like this is exactly what we need during the between-season drought. And if you liked this, then you should also check out Snowdrop. Not nearly as random and crazy, but it's a touching story that also has some high quality production values.

I'd apologize for all the images, but it's almost four in the morning and I don't give a f**k. So, good night.
3DS FC: 3437-3552-3611
Shade
Whomp
Whomp

Wii number: 8193-5935-4715-3364

Postby Windstar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:20 am

Oh wow I HAVE to see that. But first I noticed some of the animals. The monkey is Monkey from Dexter's Laboratory, the mouse could be Jerry, the blue bird is Zazu from Lion King, the fire ferret is Pabu from Legend of Korra, the penguin is from Evangelion and the Tiger could be from Aladdin since that's the only friendly tiger I recall in any fiction (other than Tony or Tigger).
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby TiggyPudding » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Sweet, I'm so gonna watch this Not sure about the flamingo or the Rhino, that's really bothering me :p And I think that might be Pac-Man next to Domo in the screencap where RD is looking into the window.
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby KIDNINTENDO » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:49 pm

I saw it in the livestream, and I just didn't like the second half of the episode, it was just pointless, there was no need for a crossover in a fan made episode imo, they could have passed it off as Rainbow just going into the human world and trying to go back home without getting caught by the bad guys (government lol) and try to diesect the rainbow pegasus that can talk and break the sound barrier, her ally, the human (brony/fat balding neckbeards as the 4chans call us) will help her get back to her world somehow in another episode. I would have taken out the excessive amount of references and cameos and just left in at least one or two. And the moral of My little brony: Fanfiction is magic season 1 episode 3 was: Don't drink stuff people tell you not to drink, which basically made me somewhat spiteful of the whole thing once I added it all up about what the heck happend.

The memes, oh those damn memes, oh how they made me mad.
Yes, I'm mad, what did you think I was? Confused? Well... I was a bit actually.

Still, I don't know what they meant as '100% show acccurate', did they mean the animation or the episode in general? If they meant the story, well they got it pretty accurate seeing as the target demographic of the show would love this and think all of those refs and cameos in Rainbow's flightgasm was funny (hehe Ditzy is funny).
Shade wrote:Image
Huh. Well, that's Johnny Bravo. Chalk up another--

I actually loved this part, Johnny Bravo was one of my all time fav shows growing up.
Now we got to Rainbow Dash stuck in the Cartoon Networkiverse and in the Powerpuff Girls universe (I liked that show too... a lot), and that's when it all started to get downhill for me, more spcifically, when RD was trying to get away from the PPG.
'Oh no' is right JonTron. Once she goes back with the help of Pinkie Deus Ex Machina Pie, it's time for Dear Princess Celestia!
I swear, it's as if Rainbow didn't get told off after all this happend, she probably killed like half of ponyville and she's still not on the moon for commiting genocide.

Oh Celesty, you tyrant.

Now that, that's all out of the way.
Animation was top notch 9/10
Voices were off and sounded like they were recorded in the official show's chinese recording studio but it was still good 7.5/10
Sound effects were missing a bad 4/10
Music was out of place but worked in some places 6.5/10
Story was bad, but still... 5/10
Overall, I give it a 56%, and since it's a fanmade episode, I'll give it an A+ for effort and dedication.
Final score 75%
THEKIDNINTENDOWIIMAN THEWIIMAN007
KIDNINTENDO
Bowser
Bowser

Nintendo Network ID: K1DN1NT3ND0
3DS Friend Code: 2535-3615-6180
Wii number: 4428-2985-6303-4647

Postby Windstar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 am

I just saw it. That was pretty awesome. Definitely not show accurate in the slightest but it's amazing to see my childhood cartoons again. And the PPG interaction was cute. As far as fan material goes, this might be my favorite. Next to the MLP One Piece intro.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Shade » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 am

So who wants some extremely vague season four info courtesy of Meghan McCarthy herself? Don't lie, you all do. Just click here.

Shade
Whomp
Whomp

Postby Shade » Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 am

Hey, did you guys think it was just a rumor? Were you desperately hoping that it was some sort of hoax. Well, tough luck.

It's really happening.
Shade
Whomp
Whomp

Postby Windstar » Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 am

Not sure what to say. I hope it's good!
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby Shade » Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm going to stay positive about. After all, it's still the same amazing group of people making it. They wouldn't let us down.
Shade
Whomp
Whomp

Postby Sr.Gabo » Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 am

Its like Hasbro is finally making movies to promote the sellings of doll! WHY TOOK THEM SO LONG!

Anyway, theaters!? Thats interesting.
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Hoggy110 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:27 am

Knowing New Zealand, EQ won't be in theatres -_-

We'll just get the toys
Hoggy110
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

3DS Friend Code: 3110-5652-5806

Postby TiggyPudding » Tue May 14, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm.....not sure what to think. Part of me thinks it's too wierd but another part of me is really excited to see if it lives up to FiM :P
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: TiggyPudding
3DS Friend Code: 5284-1394-6684
Wii number: 5843-7220-8105-8704

Postby KIDNINTENDO » Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 pm

There's also a rumour that the blue haired guy (older Milhouse) might have a romantic relationship with Twilight, also, movie is 72 minutes long, it's not worth my $12.99 but Man of Steel is, dat Chris North goodness.
KIDNINTENDO
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Shade » Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 am

KIDNINTENDO wrote:There's also a rumour that the blue haired guy (older Milhouse) might have a romantic relationship with Twilight, also, movie is 72 minutes long, it's not worth my $12.99 but Man of Steel is, dat Chris North goodness.

Speaking of which, there's something oddly familiar about that guy what with his voice and that logo on his shirt...
Shade
Whomp
Whomp

Postby KIDNINTENDO » Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 am

Shade wrote:
KIDNINTENDO wrote:There's also a rumour that the blue haired guy (older Milhouse) might have a romantic relationship with Twilight, also, movie is 72 minutes long, it's not worth my $12.99 but Man of Steel is, dat Chris North goodness.

Speaking of which, there's something oddly familiar about that guy what with his voice and that logo on his shirt...

I've been looking for that for ages, thanks Shade, also, a lot of people on 4chan made this comparison:

and

KIDNINTENDO
Bowser
Bowser

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge