Details from the latest NIntendo annual report have come in, and it gives some interesting figures that really put things in perspective:
- Over the past 30 years, Nintendo has sold 653 million units of hardware.
- 268 million consoles, 385 million handhelds
- 2.195 billion units of software sold on home consoles
- 1.907 billion units of software for handhelds
- Software numbers include download software and bundled software
To put things in perspective: That works out to nearly 60,000 units of hardware sold every day on average, and nearly 375,000 units of software sold per day on average. The average software tie ratio? 6 games per unit of hardware.
That’s a lot of merchandise. Wowza.