Iwata stresses the importance of upcoming games, won’t be changing strategy, still striving to reach financial target
Posted on 4 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in General Nintendo, News, Wii U | 13 Comments | 0 Likes
With Nintendo releasing its latest financial results today, president and CEO Satoru Iwata appeared for a press conference to follow up on the company’s performance.
Naturally, the topic of games was something that came up quite often. Iwata stressed the importance of upcoming Wii U titles for the holidays, stating that Nintendo’s performance hinges on the sales of new titles like Super Mario 3D World. After the results are reviewed, Nintendo executives will determine “what the company needs to do, over the long-term, about its platform.”
Wii/Wii U sales account for 1.3% of EA’s sales this past quarter
EA earned $695 in revenue across console, mobile, and PC software sales during the latest financial quarter. Unsurprisingly, just $9 million of the total came from Wii U and Wii U titles, or 1.3 percent.
If you were to disregard handheld and PC sales, Wii and Wii U’s total increases to 3 percent. Still, that’s nothing compared to the Xbox 360 (54 percent) and PlayStation 3 (42 percent).
Also worth mentioning, handheld sales encompass 14 percent of all EA mobile sales. Sony handhelds take up 8 percent while Nintendo portables account for 6 percent.
Media Create software sales (10/21 – 10/27)
Posted on 4 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in 3DS, News | 0 comments | 0 Likes
This week’s Japanese software sales are as follows:
01./01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y #
02./00. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013
03./00. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chronophantasma #
04./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 #
05./03. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V
06./00. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013
07./00. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013
08./04. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle!
09./00. [PSP] Kamigami no Itazura #
10./00. [PSP] Diabolik Lovers: More, Blood #
11./10. [PSV] Dangan-Ronpa 1-2: Reload
12./00. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 2 with Xtreme Legends & Empires HD Version #
13./06. [PS3] FIFA 14 #
14./13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf #
15./11. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life #
16./08. [PS3] Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club!
17./09. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
18./00. [3DS] Sonic Lost World
19./17. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life #
20./07. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls
Media Create hardware sales (10/21 – 10/27)
The latest Japanese hardware sales from Media Create are as follows:
3DS LL – 69,001
3DS – 40,507
Vita – 24,513
PS3 – 11,460
PSP – 3,807
Wii U – 2,598
Wii – 742
Xbox 360 – 351
For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last week:
3DS LL – 94,988
3DS – 59,590
Vita – 25,763
PS3 – 11,643
PSP – 3,651
Wii U – 2,999
Wii – 806
Xbox 360 – 539
Details from Nintendo’s latest financial results
Posted on 4 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in 3DS, General Nintendo, News, Wii U | 3 Comments | 0 Likes
Nintendo’s latest financial results are in. The company did just about what most had expected – the Wii U struggled, but the 3DS continued to perform very well.
Here’s the full overview of Nintendo’s performance:
– 300,000 Wii U consoles sold in the three month period to September 30th
– That’s double the 160,000 sold in the prior three months
– Wii U has sold only 460,000 worldwide in the six month period to September 30th
– An average of 76,666 units a month worldwide
– Lifetime Wii U sales are 3.91 million
– Nintendo not likely to reach its nine million sales expectation by the end of its 2014 financial year
– Pikmin 3 and Zelda: Wind Waker HD did not significantly boost console sales during the six month period in which both games were released
– Nintendo’s net sales: 196.5 billion yet
– Loss of 23.2 million yen
– Nintendo statement: “The Wii U hardware still has a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits”
– Nintendo blamed the loss on a markdown in the US and Europe, plus advertising and research/development for Wii U
– Animal Crossing: New Leaf has sold 2.49 million units worldwide
– Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D all showing “steady sales”
– Global 3DS sales: 3.89 million for the period
– 27.38 million games sold during the period
– 3DS has now sold 34.98 million units worldwide since launch to the end of September 2013
– Nintendo not revising its forecast for the 2014 financial year even with the loss and Wii U’s poor sales
– Pokemon X/Y “showed extremely strong initial sales, further propelling the popularity of the system”
– Wii U: “we attempt to concentrate on proactively releasing key first-party titles towards the coming year in order to regain momentum for the platform”
– Nintendo pointed to Wii Party U and Super Mario 3D World
– Wii U will be offered “at an affordable price by bundling software with the system”
– New promotional activities for Wii Fit U
– Nintendo also hopes to improve digital revenue and hardware profitability for both Wii U and 3DS by reducing their manufacturing cost
You can find Nintendo’s full financial results here.
UK software sales (Week ending 10/26) – Wii U/3DS charts
The latest Wii U/3DS-specific UK software sales are as follows:
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – Nintendo
2. Wii Party U – Nintendo
3. Sonic Lost World – Nintendo
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut – Square Enix
5. Nintendo Land – Nintendo
6. LEGO City: Undercover – Nintendo
7. Skylanders Swap Force – Activision
8. New Super Mario Bros. U – Nintendo
9. New Super Luigi U – Nintendo
10. Disney Infinity – Disney Interactive
1. Pokemon X – Nintendo
2. Pokemon Y – Nintendo
3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Nintendo
4. Luigi’s Mansion 2 – Nintendo
5. Sonic Lost World – Nintendo
6. Mario Kart 7 – Nintendo
7. LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins – Nintendo
8. New Super Mario Bros. 2 – Nintendo
9. Super Mario 3D Land – Nintendo
10. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – Nintendo
UK software sales (Week ending 10/26)
Pokemon X/Y’s Japanese sales see quicker drop than Black/White, but no need to panic
Posted on 4 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in 3DS, News | 4 Comments | 0 Likes
Pokemon X and Y sold another 473,000 copies across Japan in its second week, but the game’s sales dropped by 75 percent. Before you get too concerned, keep in mind that this may sound more troubling than it actually is.
Pokemon Black/White experienced a similar drop, but not quite as steep. Sales of the DS games obtained higher first week sales with a 70 percent decrease in its second week.
Note that when Black/White launched, the DS had a userbase that was over twice the size as the 3DS’ total (30 million versus 13 million). Pokemon X and Y are also competing for gamers’ attention, as Monster Hunter 4 launched in Japan not too long ago.
Rayman Legends sells under 1,500 copies in its first week in Japan
Posted on 4 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 20 Comments | 0 Likes
Rayman Legends was the second best-selling Wii U title in Japan during the week of October 14th. Sadly, that’s not saying much. Dengeki Online reports (via ASCII Media Works) Rayman Legends sold just 1,435 copies in its debut week at retail.
Nintendo published Rayman Legends as a Japanese Wii U exclusive on October 17th. Dengeki’s data period ended on the 20th, so the site’s figure accounts for less than a full week of sales. Still, we can’t help but be disappointed, even though the game’s slow start is far from surprising.
Media Create software sales (10/14 – 10/20) – Top 50
This week’s expanded Japanese software sales are as follows:
01./01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y #
02./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 #
03./02. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V
04./00. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle!
05./00. [PS3] Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers #
06./00. [PS3] FIFA 14 #
07./00. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls
08./06. [PS3] Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club!
09./04. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
10./05. [PSV] Dangan-Ronpa 1-2: Reload
11./11. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life #
12./00. [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 8: Euro +
13./13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf #
14./07. [PS3] Fairy Fencer F #
15./08. [PSV] Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club!
16./10. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate #
17./17. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life #
18./16. [3DS] Youkai Watch
19./19. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team #
20./22. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon