[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 685: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 685: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Nintendo Everything Forums • View topic - The Wonderful 101 - Wii U Experience

The Wonderful 101 - Wii U Experience

Nintendo enters the HD era.

The Wonderful 101 - Wii U Experience

Postby ei8htbit » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Alright, I've finally had a chance to play this game at one of the Wii U tour events and even though this was just a fairly short demo and the title screen was still listed as Project P-100 I have to say that this game looks and plays awesome. Even more so than Super Mario U and the Nintendo Land demos, this game really shows off how crisp the HD graphics on Wii U are even when it zooms out and the characters are small on screen there is just such a crisp level of detail. Also, the camera effects like depth of field really help make the scope of this game feel BIG. I couldn't help but be impressed by just how fast the action is, the processing power is definitely there - I guess what I'm trying to say is that it never feels watered down like some games on the Wii inevitably ended up doing (either by reducing resolution, or throttling down processing needs) this game delivers super-crisp and vibrant coloured HD graphics (with huge 3d models) at incredible framerates.

In terms of the gameplay you really only get a taste of what the experience will be like, but the best way I could describe it is that it's like a more focused version of Pikmin (in that you aren't multi-tasking and resource-hunting, just focused on fighting as one unit) and the general gameplay consists of beating a constant barrage of Zelda-type puzzle-based mini-bosses and big (like, HUGE) Bosses using different weapons and skills that I can only assume you unlock/learn as you go (you have to think through the strategy of which weapon/formation would work best in each situation like in Zelda). The backdrop feels like a vast urban landscape - the camera zooms out at times to show more of the action and it just feels like an animated movie being filmed in real-time.

In short, the trailers give you a good sense but does not fully convey how fun and gorgeous this game plays and looks on the Wii U. It felt like the speed and power of a next-gen game with the charm and and nostalgia of a Super Nintendo Top-down 3/4 view game you somehow never played. This game is the one out of all the demos that proved to me that Wii U is a very capable next-gen system with a ton of potential - and this was just a demo.
:up:

Has anyone else had a chance to play this at E3 or at any other events from the summer or last couple months? What are your thoughts? Is anyone else excited about this game? Does anyone know if there is a release date yet?
ei8htbit
Goomba
Goomba

Wii number:

Re: The Wonderful 101 - Wii U Experience

Postby Sr.Gabo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Man, this is my most wanted game.

I have a doubt, this game is downloadable or physical?

Anyway, nice to hear it is pretty good.
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Austin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I would guess that it'll be both downloadable and physical. Most Wii U launch games are so far.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby Sr.Gabo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for the info!
Our Heaven and our Hell... This is Outer Heaven
Sr.Gabo
Yoshi
Yoshi

Postby Valay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Did anyone play the demo? I was seriously impressed.
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID:
3DS Friend Code:
Wii number:

Postby Austin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:17 pm

I have, and I really liked it! Took me a time or two to get into, but once I did I was totally on board and downright surprised that it was so fun. Feels a LOT like Bayonetta 2 from a gameplay perspective.

I guess that's what I get for second-guessing Platinum...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby TiggyPudding » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:06 am

Maybe I didn't give it enough time but I didn't like the demo at all. The controls are wierd :/
TiggyPudding
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.

Nintendo Network ID:
3DS Friend Code:
Wii number:

Postby incominggame » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:35 am

incominggame
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Wii number:

Postby pie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:04 pm

I really liked the demo but the controls are a bit confusing. The stylus was much easier to use for controlling the size of the transformations, but for quick ones, the analog stick was much better.
pie
Toad
Toad

Nintendo Network ID:
3DS Friend Code:

Postby Austin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:13 pm

If you only played the demo once through, I HIGHLY recommend playing a second (or even third!) time. I didn't much like it my first time, loved it my second time, and now I've played it for about 4 hours.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Austin
Magikoopa
Magikoopa

Postby thomas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Sometimes I wish I had a Wii U
thomas
Peach
Peach

Postby Valay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:51 pm

I admit that the controls took some getting used to. I still didn't feel 100% comfortable after the demo. I just went through it again tonight though, and everything felt much better. There's a learning curve, certainly.
Valay
Administrator
Administrator

Nintendo Network ID:
3DS Friend Code:
Wii number:

Postby SparkRaid » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:52 pm

I feel the same about the controls. First time I played it I couldn't get it right, but with some practice I finally got it down. I'm so looking forward to this game, I can't wait to buy the full version!
SparkRaid
Goomba
Goomba

Nintendo Network ID:
3DS Friend Code:

Postby Windstar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:02 am

I played the demo yesterday. Like everyone else, I had trouble with the controls at first (the touch screen probably could have simplified it a lot) but once you get the hang of it, man it is incredible! Definitely a must-have for the Wii U. I'm even tempted to say I like it more than Pikmin but that wouldn't be fair since I played Wonderful 101 recently and Pikmin like...so many years ago.

I love the comic book feel to it. You can do all sorts of stuff and once you get a hang of the moves you'll be dishing out like 3 different sets of moves at a time. Though it's action-based, I felt there was a good amount of strategy. Can't tell how many enemies I stood there fruitless attacking for minutes until realizing I had to turn into the jell-o formation to deflect projectiles. But even then they'll throw you a curveball and have an enemies that requires the sword to deflect it's lasers. I love how this game doesn't hold your hand and it just gives you room to experiment on your own. I managed to turn into a hand-glider on accident but I'm guessing that'll be reserved for flying levels or something.

I would say play the demo at least 3 times and really get a feel for what each button does before deciding if you like it.
Windstar
Peach
Peach

Postby ZyroXZ2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Having played this game extensively, and also having reviewed it on my talk show, I have to say this game was criminally undersold. It wasn't fair how people cried out for new IPs, then pretended this one didn't exist when it released. It's a good game, and all Wii U owners should have this one, because it's a shining example of a good 3rd party exclusive!
Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

^^/
ZyroXZ2
Buzzy Beetle
Buzzy Beetle

Nintendo Network ID:

Next

Return to Wii U