Nintendo on Switch sales, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has best start ever for a Switch title
Posted on May 7, 2020 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in General Nintendo, News
This information comes from Nintendo’s financial results explanatory material…
First let’s talk about Nintendo Switch sales.
• Sales for the entire Nintendo Switch family rose 24.0% year-on-year to 21.03 million units. That breaks down to sales of 14.83 million units of Nintendo Switch and 6.19 million units of Nintendo Switch Lite.
• Nintendo Switch sales continued at levels close to those of the previous fiscal year, and when you add in sales of Nintendo Switch Lite, just launched in September of last year, you see that sales of the entire Nintendo Switch family exceeded the good results of the previous fiscal year.
• Looking at software, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield posted sales of 17.37 million units, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold 11.77 million units, which is now the best start ever for a Nintendo Switch title. In addition to titles like Luigiʼs Mansion 3 and Super Mario Maker 2 that were released during this fiscal year, sales also continued to grow steadily for titles released in previous fiscal years like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and for titles from other software publishers. The total number of million-seller titles during this fiscal year reached 27 titles, including those from other software publishers.
• As a result, total software sales grew 42.3% year-on-year to 168.72 million units.
• As you can see by looking at sales by region, both hardware sales and software sales grew year-on-year in every region.