Shadowgate revamp launches for Switch in April
Posted on March 27, 2019 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Switch eShop
Shadowgate, a classic adventure game, first debuted around two decades ago. Towards the end of last year, Abstraction Games announced a partnership with original developer Zojoi last year to bring it to new platforms with a fresh coat of paint. It was originally on track for a fall release, but that window slipped by without any sort of update.
Listings on the eShop now reveal a final release date. Abstraction Games will have the revamp ready to go on April 11.
Here’s an official overview of the game plus first screenshots:
Shadowgate is one of the most well-known and beloved adventure titles in gaming history. It quickly endeared players with its fantastic atmospheric soundtrack, perilous locations to progress through, countless puzzles to solver, and more ways to gruesomely die than gamers previously thought possible. Thrust into the role of “The Seed or Prophecy”, players travel deep into the castle, in hopes of defeating the evil that dwells within – the dreaded Warlock Lord.
That legendary adventure has been redesigned from the ground up, adding in tons of new mind-bending puzzles, lots of new rooms with stunning hand-painted 2D graphical details, and more objects to interact with.
This new console version builds upon the massively re-imagined remake of the original Shadowgate and features a refined user interface and intuitive wheel-based icon command system to help players along on their quest.
Get ready, brave adventurer, the Living Castle awaits!
– First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system, and intuitive UI to complete your quest.
– Dangerous Dungeons: Tons of beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new gameplay experience.
– Mind-bending Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
– Difficulty Levels: Four different difficulty levels (from the novice to expert) that actually change the gameplay experience and puzzle structure. For the ultimate challenge, try Ironman mode that disables saves and requires players to finish the game in one try.
– Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Toggle on to listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original chiptunes, move between rooms with pixelated transitions and follow the text in retro format.
– Storytelling: Shadowgate features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
– Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with gameplay by composer Rich Douglas.
– Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
Source: Switch eShop