Wii U update version 5.0.0 out now, adds quick start menu and more
Nintendo has released a major system update for Wii U, bringing the firmware version up to 5.0.0.
One of the major features introduced in today’s update is the quick start menu. Players can now more easily begin playing games without having to encounter the menu screen.
Other changes/additions include new GamePad Alerts that can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is turned off, the ability to install system updates after they’re finished downloading while the console is in Standby, and more.
You can find the full update notes from Nintendo below.
- A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
- Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu *1
- Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
- Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
- GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2
Changes to Standby Functions:
- System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby
Changes to the Wii U Menu:
- The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
- The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated
- This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen
Changes to System Settings:
- Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings
- Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options
Changes to the HOME Menu
- A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience