Switch Indie Highlights – January 2019 recap announcement
Posted on January 23, 2019 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Switch eShop
Nintendo has put out an official announcement recapping all of the news from today’s Indie Highlights video. If you don’t feel like watching the full thing or missed out on any of the reveals, check out the PR below.
The new year is the time for new things and, in a new Indie Highlights video, Nintendo of Europe showcased a selection of exciting independent games coming to Nintendo Switch this year. The video included the first look at SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, a beautifully hand-drawn roleplaying card game from Image & Form Games, the creators of critically-acclaimed titles such as SteamWorld Dig and SteamWorld Dig 2. SteamWorld Quest is set for release first on Nintendo Switch in 2019.
You can watch the Indie Highlights – 23.01.2019 (Nintendo Switch) video and get further information via the Indie Highlights Hub on the official Nintendo website.
Here’s a rundown of the games featured in today’s Indie Highlights video:
- Use the hand you’ve been dealt to triumph over evil, in SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech from Image & Form Games and Thunderful Publishing. In this innovative roleplaying card game, you’ll lead a party of heroes through a beautifully hand-drawn world, building your own deck of cards along the way and using them to defeat an array of enemies in intense turn-based battles. The game mixes traditional fantasy elements with steampunk robots for an unforgettable experience filled with fun and humour. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech is coming first to Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Magic, mythology and madcap kung fu action combine in Unruly Heroes from Magic Design Studios, available now on Nintendo Switch. This action-packed adventure game is inspired by the Chinese story “A Journey to the West”, better known as the Monkey King Legend. Terrible creatures are sowing chaos throughout the land and it’s up to the Monkey King and his three colourful companions to turn back the tide of evil. Tackle the adventure solo, or with friends in up to 4-player local co-op. You can even test your kung fu skills against other players in local or online* P-v-P mode.
- Have you ever dreamed of being a goat? Well, look no further than Goat Simulator: The GOATY from Coffee Stain Publishing. The wildly successful indie phenomenon is available now on Nintendo Switch. This is the cutting edge of goat simulation technology, and the Goat Simulator: The GOATY package includes Goat Simulator plus Goat MMO Simulator, Goat Simulator: GoatZ, Goat Simulator: Payday and Goat Simulator: Waste of Space.
When Ski Lifts Go Wrong from Curve Digital is a deliriously fun physics-based construction puzzler, packed full of creative challenges, sports and disasters! Start in the rolling foothills and journey up to the jagged peaks. Puzzle over carefully designed scenarios to help every passenger reach their destination. With more than 100 challenging, pre-constructed levels and a sandbox builder mode for players to create their own, there are hours and hours of fun to be had on the slopes. When Ski Lifts Go Wrong is available now on Nintendo Switch.
- Take to the battlefield in Wargroove, a turn-based strategy game from Chucklefish. Choose from a large cast of different commanders, each with their own special “groove” attack that can be used to sway the battle in your favour. The game features a full story campaign as well as online* and local multiplayer for up to four players. The war doesn’t end there though, as easy-to-use editors and customisation tools allow you to create and share your own maps and campaigns. Wargroove marches on to Nintendo Switch on 1st February, and is available to pre-order on Nintendo eShop now.
- HEAVY METAL! ZOMBIES! BIG GUNS! Double Kick Heroes by Headbang Club and Plug In Digital mixes the shoot ‘em up and rhythm game genres for a high-octane experience unlike anything you’ve played before. Speed through a post-apocalyptic wasteland on the highway to hell, with the power of bone-crushing heavy metal rhythms as your only weapon against the zombie hordes. Featuring more than 30 original metal songs, plus tracks from guest bands such as GOJIRA, Double Kick Heroes will be coming first to Nintendo Switch in summer 2019.
Inmost is a ghoulishly atmospheric puzzle-platformer from Chucklefish in which you follow three different playable characters across one dark, interconnected story. In an old, abandoned castle, rendered in beautiful pixel-art style, you’ll need brains and bravery in equal measure to escape from the shadowy evil lurking in the depths. Inmost comes first to Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Dive into a massive sci-fi adventure in CrossCode, the retro-inspired 2D action RPG from Deck 13 Interactive and Radical Fish Games. Combining 16 bit-style graphics with smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system and engaging puzzle mechanics, CrossCode launches on Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Forager from Humble Bundle is a 2D open-world game in which you can build your future as you see fit. Combining exploration, combat, farming and crafting, Forager allows you to try out a variety of different playstyles as you start small then gradually expand your territory, your skillset and your network of friends – and enemies. Forager is coming soon to Nintendo Switch.
The presentation also includes a highlights reel recapping some of the numerous great indie titles already available on Nintendo Switch. So whether you’re discovering this extensive catalogue of games for the first time, or you’re an experienced gamer just wondering what to play next, be sure to check out both the presentation and the Indie Highlights Hub.
With Unruly Heroes, Goat Simulator: The GOATY and When Ski Lifts Go Wrong all available from today, SteamWorld Quest in the pipeline and a diverse range of other exciting titles arriving throughout the year, 2019 looks set to be another action-packed year for indie gaming fans on Nintendo Switch.
Indie Highlights – 23.01.2019 (Nintendo Switch)
Great indie games on Nintendo Switch!
Summary of Key Info For Featured Titles:
Title Publisher European release date on Nintendo Switch SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech Thunderful Publishing 2019 Goat Simulator: The GOATY Coffee Stain Publishing 23rd January 2019 (available now) Unruly Heroes Magic Design Studios 23rd January 2019 (available now) When Ski Lifts Go Wrong Curve Digital 23rd January 2019 (available now) Wargroove Chucklefish 1st February 2019 Double Kick Heroes Plug In Digital Summer 2019 Inmost Chucklefish 2019 CrossCode Deck13 Interactive 2019 Forager Humble Bundle Coming soon
Source: Nintendo PR