Game Informer review scores – March 2014 – Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
This month’s Game Informer review scores are as follows:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – 9.25
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition – 9.25
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – 7
Broken Age Act 1 – 8.5
Bravely Default – 8
The Banner Saga – 8.5
OlliOlli – 8
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc – 8.5
Dr. Luigi – 8
Republique – 7.5
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z – 7
Joe Danger Infinity – 8
Nidhogg – 8
Fable Anniversary – 8
The following tidbits come from Game Informer’s Donkey Kong review:
- Seems like generic worlds, ice, beach, jungle but “the variety is amazing”
- Ride minecarts through saw mills, dash through a forest with a raging fire, etc.
- Great difficulty balance, bonus stages are a bit ridiculous in difficulty though that is expected.
- Water levels return, are very fun, better to control with analog stick than d-pad. For some reason you have to access the menu to pick one or the other.
- Dixie and Cranky add new moves that work best to reach certain collectibles or specific platforming challenges. Rotating barrels allow you to select the best Kong for the job.
- “Local Co-op is as much a mixed bag as the first installment.”
- 6 worlds instead of 8 in the last game. But each level is larger. Reviewer says it rather have a smaller collection of the best levels Retro can make than a more bloated game with less quality levels and that is exactly what this game does.