Nintendo financial results – January 30, 2020 – Switch hardware sales at 52.48 million
Posted on January 30, 2020 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Switch
Nintendo today reported its latest financial results for the nine months ended December 31, 2019. The company has provided sales updates across the board, including the latest on Switch.
Here’s the full roundup:
– Switch sales for the quarter: 7.58 million
– Switch Lite sales for the quarter: 3.24 million
– Overall Switch sales for the quarter: 10.81 million
– Switch software sales for the quarter – 64.64 million
– Switch sales this fiscal year – 12.56 million
– Switch Lite sales for this fiscal year – 5.19 million
– Overall Switch hardware sales for this fiscal year – 17.74 million
– Switch software sales for this fiscal year – 123.13 million
– Switch lifetime sales – 47.3 million
– Switch Lite lifetime sales – 5.19 million
– Overall lifetime Switch hardware sales – 52.48 million
– Switch lifetime software sales: 310.65 million
– Switch hardware forecast for this fiscal year: 19.5 million
– Switch software forecast for this fiscal year: 140 million
– 3DS sales this quarter: 0.25 million
– 3DS software sales this quarter: 1.5 million
– 3DS sales this fiscal year: 0.62 million
– 3DS software sales this fiscal year: 4.1 million
– 3DS lifetime sales: 75.71 million
– 3DS lifetime software sales – 382.22 million
– Nintendo net sales this quarter – 578,701 million yen
– Nintendo operating income this quarter – 168,708 million yen
– Nintendo net profit this quarter – 134,371 million
– Nintendo net sales this fiscal year – 1,022,668 million yen
– Nintendo operating income this fiscal year – 262,930 million yen
– Nintendo net profit this fiscal year – 196,389 million yen
During the nine months ended December 31, 2019, Nintendo Switch Lite launched in September as a compact, lightweight, and easyto-carry system dedicated to handheld gameplay, and Nintendo Switch performed well without losing momentum, resulting in significant sales growth for the entire Nintendo Switch family that surpassed the same period in the last fiscal year. Software like Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield became huge hits, selling 16.06 million units, alongside Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Super Mario Maker 2, both of which sold over 5 million units. In addition, sales of popular titles released during previous fiscal years and titles from other software publishers continued to grow steadily, bringing the total number of million-seller titles during this fiscal year to 21, including the titles of other software publishers. Nintendo Switch also launched in China through Tencent Holdings Limited in December. As a result, hardware sales reached 17.74 million units (22.5% increase on a year-on-year basis), and software sales reached 123.13 million units (30.1% increase on a year-on-year basis).
For Nintendo 3DS, hardware sales totaled 0.62 million units (73.0% decrease on a year-on-year basis), while software sales totaled 4.10 million units (63.0% decrease on a year-on-year basis). Turning to our digital business for dedicated video game platforms, the steady growth in sales of downloadable versions of packaged software and download-only software for Nintendo Switch, as well as the contribution from Nintendo Switch Online throughout the entire fiscal year, helped to bring overall digital sales to 124.9 billion yen (48.3% increase on a year-on-year basis).
For the mobile business, many consumers continue to enjoy applications released during this fiscal year, such as Mario Kart Tour, as well as titles that were released in previous fiscal years. Our mobile, IP related income reached 36.9 billion yen (10.6% increase on a year-on-year basis).
In total, sales reached 1,022.6 billion yen (including overseas sales of 795.7 billion yen, or 77.8% of the total), and operating profit came to 262.9 billion yen. Ordinary profit was 273.8 billion yen, and net profit attributable to owners of the parent totaled 196.3 billion yen for this fiscal year.