Pokemon Detective Pikachu tidbits – Garbodor was scrapped from the movie and more
Posted on May 13, 2019 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in General Nintendo, News
Pokemon Detective Pikachu main writers Dan Hernandez and Benji Samit recently appeared on the latest episode of Blank Check. They touched on why Red/Blue wasn’t used as the storyline, wanting to include Garbodor, and more.
Here’s the full roundup of tidbits:
– In discussing collaborating with The Pokemon Company, Hernandez and Samit said they were told, “Squirtles don’t strategize”
– They also explain why it’s not the Red/Blue storyline and why Detective Pikachu was the starting line for the story
– Starting with Detective Pikachu as the first live-action Pokemon movie would have been a bit like the first live-action Mario being about Dr. Mario said
– It was a like, “writing a Star Wars movie without a light saber or the force”
– Since they couldn’t use trainers or battles in this world, they decided to focus just on the concept of evolution
– Hernandez and Samit did not confirm a sequel, but said they want to get into what it’s like inside a Pokeball in future live action films
– Hernandez and Samit were the driving force behind making sure Psyduck was included as a main Pokemon character
– Garbodor was in early drafts of the script and it was one they really wanted to see in the film
– He was cut, possibly for being too weird
You can listen to the full podcast with Hernandez and Samit below.