Turn-based RPG Sea of Stars announced, prequel story set in The Messenger’s universe
Posted on March 19, 2020 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Switch eShop
Sabotage Studio today unveiled Sea of Stars, a turn-based RPG. The game features a prequel story set in The Messenger’s universe.
Here’s some additional information about Sea of Stars as well as the debut trailer:
Sea of Stars is a turn-based RPG inspired by the 90’s classics. A prequel story set in The Messenger’s universe, it tells the story of two Children of the Solstice who will combine the powers of the sun and moon to perform Eclipse Magic, the only force capable of fighting off the monstrous creations of the evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer. Promising the Sabotage touch in every system, Sea of Stars aims to modernize the classic RPG in turn-based combat, storytelling, exploration and interactions with the environment, while still offering a hearty slice of nostalgia and good old, simple fun.
– Engaging turn-based combat. Setting out to create our own “definitive edition” for the genre, combat gameplay includes active player input during attack animations (timed hits), multi-character combo attacks, boosting, and active defense options to cancel enemies spell-casting. For a more immersive experience, there are no random encounters, no transitions to a separate battlefield, and no grinding. Both navigation and combat happen in the same environment.
– Unshackled traversal. Swim, climb, vault, jump off or hoist up ledges as you run through the world with a navigation system based on platformer expertise that breaks free from the classic bound-to-the-grid tileset movement.
– Prequel story set in The Messenger’s universe with dozens of original characters and arcs that will take you on a captivating journey. Sometimes epic, sometimes silly, and other times emotional, Sea of Stars will take you on a memorable journey exploring classic themes of struggle, adventure, and friendship. It might make you cry, and will certainly make you laugh.
– Full-on dynamic lighting. Our custom-made render pipeline allows the creation of a breathtaking world coming to life by pushing the limits of 2D pixel-art games.
– Applying the Sabotage treatment to the turn-based RPG genre. Every system has been deeply analyzed to create an experience that pays respect to retro classics, while reworking some elements to offer a modernized experience free of irritants and timesinks.
Sabotage Studio has opened a Kickstarter for Sea of Stars, which you can find here. The project is targeted for a 2022 launch.