Civilization VI – March 2021 update out now, patch notes
Civilization VI players on Switch can now download the game’s latest update. It contains support for the Portugal Pack, balance adjustments, fixes, and more.
Below are the full patch notes:
Civilization – Portugal
Unique Ability – Casa da Índia
- International Trade Routes can only reach foreign cities on the coast or with a Harbor but receive +50% towards all yields. Trader units have +50% range over water and can embark as soon as they are unlocked.
Unique Unit – Nau
- Portuguese unique naval melee unit that replaces the Caravel. Starts with 1 free Promotion and costs less maintenance. Has two charges to build Feitorias.
Unique Improvement – Feitoria
- Unlocks the Nau ability to construct a Feitoria, unique to Portugal. Can only be built adjacent to Luxury or Bonus resources in territory belonging to other Civilizations or City-States that you have Open Borders with. Provides +4 Gold and +1 Production to the owner of the tile. Trade routes sent to this city from Portugal gain +4 Gold and +1 Production. Must be built on a Coast or Lake tile adjacent to land and not adjacent to another Feitoria. Feitorias cannot be removed.
Unique Building – Navigation School
- A building unique to Portugal. +25% Production towards naval units in this city. +1 Science for every two Coast or Lake tiles in this city. +1 Great Admiral point, +1 Great Scientist point. Replaces the University.
Leader – Joao III
Ability – Porta Do Cerco
- All units receive +1 sight. +1 Trade Route capacity when a civilization is met. Open borders with all City-States.
Agenda – Navigator’s Legacy
- Tries to explore the map.
- Likes civilizations that have explored more than other civilizations.
- Dislikes civilizations that have explored less.
Zombies Defense Game Mode
The Zombie Defense game mode introduces a dangerous threat to your Civilization: the dead that do not stay dead. Zombies can rise from the ashes of war, and as they prey upon your and other’s lands, they spread their deadly curse onwards. Build new defensive structures to protect your territory. Make use of new City Projects to manipulate Zombies against your still living opponents.
Zombies are melee units that wander the map. They cannot pillage your Improvements but will immediately go after any unit wandering outside and attack your City Centers and defensible Districts. Zombie hordes are unrelenting, but predictable as they will always attack the closest non-Zombie unit. But there are new defenses – your Builders and Military Engineers can construct traps and walls, and new City Projects allow you to take control of the dead for a time, using them to attack your enemies or rerouting them to your neighbor’s door.
Zombie units thrive on the aftermath of war. When a unit dies on the map, it carries a slight chance of returning as a Zombie some turns later. However, if a unit is destroyed by a Zombie, it will rise again on the following turn. If a Zombie attack lowers a city’s population, a new Zombie unit will spawn immediately next to the city. The undead menace steadily grows in strength as well as number – for each Zombie killed anywhere in the world, remaining and new Zombies get stronger.
New Defensive Structures
Builders can create Barricades or Traps to help fend off enemies. Later eras can grant the ability to create more powerful Barricades or Traps. While these can be powerful defenses against the living dead, they can also be useful against the units of other civilizations, as they deal damage to any sort of enemy.
- Trap – An unworkable early Improvement that deals a moderate damage to, and depletes the movement of, hostile units passing directly through it. Unlocked with Construction and built using a Builder Charge. Does not prevent unit movement through this space.
- Modernized Trap – An unworkable later Improvement that deals significant damage to, and depletes the movement of, hostile units passing directly through it. Unlocked with Ballistics and built using a Charge from a Military Engineer. Does not prevent unit movement through this space.
- Barricade – An unworkable early Improvement that deals minor damage to, and exerts zone of control on, hostile units passing through or adjacent to it. Unlocked with Military Engineering and built using a Builder Charge. Does not prevent unit movement through this space.
- Reinforced Barricade – An unworkable later Improvement that deals moderate damage to, and exerts zone of control on, hostile units passing through or adjacent to it. Unlocked with Rifling and built using a Charge from a Military Engineer. Does not prevent unit movement through this space.
- Existing Civilization VI infrastructure has been updated to also provide additional options for Zombie defenses: Fort, Roman Fort, Great Wall, [Ethiopia Pack] Vampire Castle, [Gathering Storm] the Maori’s Pa, [Vikings Scenario Pack] Alcazar.
New City Projects
Using the Turn Undead project at a Holy Site or the Dark Signal project at a Campus will allow you to briefly take control of Zombies within your city limits, meaning that you can turn the horde against your enemies. Just be sure to be safely out of reach when your control expires or when you strategically end it. In addition, Spies can spread the deadly curse to other civilizations with the Zombie Outbreak action.
- Holy Site – Turn Undead – Upon completion, gain control of the Zombies currently in this city’s territory. Control lasts 15 turns.
- Campus – Dark Signal – Upon completion, gain control of the Zombies currently in this city’s territory. Control lasts 30 turns.
- City Center Spy action – Zombie Outbreak – Upon completion, has a chance to spawn one Zombie per worked tile in the target city.
New World Wonders
Torre de Belém
- +5 Gold. International Trade Routes from this city receive +2 Gold for every Luxury Resource at the destination. When the Torre de Belém is constructed, cities not on your home continent receive the lowest Production cost City Center building they can currently construct. +1 Great Admiral point per turn. Must be built on a Coast tile that is adjacent to a Harbor district.
- +2 Science. +2 Science and +1 Production to all Marsh tiles in your empire. +1 Science and +1 Production on all Floodplains tiles for this city. Must be built on Floodplains or Marsh.
- Wetlands – A continents map flooded with rivers and marsh. There are extra Woods, Flood Plains, and Rainforests as well.
Free Game Update
- Replace the old Lisbon City-State with the Mogadishu City-State
- Fixed an issue where Production was not being added to Holy Sites in captured cities when having the Work Ethic religious belief.
- Macedon’s ability Hellenistic Fusion will now only trigger when a city is first conquered (it previously was triggering for districts built after the city was occupied).
- Fixed incorrect yield text for Cliffs of Dover in certain tooltips.
- Tourism from all Heroic Relics is now 6 (was 10)
- Fixed an issue where the Questing Knight’s combat strength would increase after the player advanced eras.
- Fixed an issue where a Hero could not be recalled with Faith when a Free City was recaptured.
- Fixed an issue where the Hero Mulan was able to attack land units while embarked.
Kublai Khan and Vietnam Pack
- Industry bonuses are now displayed on Product tooltips when creating a trade in the deal menu.
- Fixed an issue causing larger than intended Tourism rewards from monopolized resources.
- Fixed an issue where Products could be created from pillaged Corporations.
- Fixed an issue where the Corporation name would be missing when making a deal with the AI.
- Fixed an issue where Housing would not be displayed when placing the Preserve district.
- Fixed an issue where Corporation Product ownership was not always being properly assigned. If no custom name is used for a Corporation, a generic name will be used.
- Sumeria’s Unique Ability Epic Quest has been updated for Barbarian Clans gameplay: When you disperse a Barbarian Outpost, receive a Tribal Village reward in addition to the usual Experience Points. Pay half the usual cost to levy City-State units.
- Clan conversion info now appears in the Treat with Clan UI.
- Improved naval clan priority to focus on creating more naval units when located on small landmasses.
- A civilization that is currently selected as an Incite target will no longer appear on the Incite dropdown menu.
- Added tooltip info about City-State conversion disabled status on clan banner and in Treat with Clan UI.
- Fixed an issue where Barbarian bribe indications were remaining on unit flags after the bribe had expired.
- Fixed an issue where notification icon for the Bribe function would not display the correct icon.
- Fixed an issue where the ESC key would not close out the Treat the Clan UI.
- Fixed an issue where duplicate Civilizations would be indistinguishable on the Incite dropdown menu.
- Fixed an issue where hired units would sometimes spawn within the Barbarian Outpost.
- Fixed an issue where a defender unit would fail to spawn on a Barbarian Outpost during the Barbarian player’s turn after being raided.
- Fixed an issue where players could still use the Ransom function while having an insufficient amount of Gold.
- Fixed an issue where the map would recenter on the first clan on which a player action was used after interacting with other clans.
- [Multiplayer] Fixed an issue where the Barbarian Outpost banner would appear in the fog of war after another user had discovered them during a Hot Seat game.
- [Multiplayer] Fixed an issue where converted City-States would fail to declare war on players their Suzerain is currently at war with.
- AI will make better use of cultists.
- AI’s value of tech will be limited by the number of units it can build.
- Added new icons for the Leader Selection Pool to help differentiate pools.
- Added warning tooltips for choosing similar Civ jersey colors to single player Advanced Setup menu.
- [Base game] Fixed an issue where the player would not be able to trade Great Works or Relics in the deal menu.
- Fixed an issue where the “Replay Movie” button would no longer function when the player returned to the Victory/Defeat screen after viewing the History Timeline during gameplay.
- Fixed tooltip info showing per-turn resource info when adding a city with resources to a trade deal.
- Fixed an issue where leader quotes played from the Civilopedia would continue after the Civilopedia was closed.
- Fixed an issue where the city recommendation tooltip would appear when the player hovers over recommended Builder improvement icons that were on the same tile as the recommended settlement icon.
- Fixed an issue where an incorrect number of selected leaders will display when viewing the Leader Pool section of the Game Summary in a Multiplayer Staging Room.
- Various text fixes.
- [Ethiopia Pack] Fixed an issue where Menelik would not be available for base game multiplayer scenarios.
- Fixed an issue that caused graphical corruption on the UI overlay after playing in Pirates multiplayer when loading a Single Player save.
- Fixed a crash caused by the delayed death of Spies.
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes occur when Barbarian Clans converted to City-States.
- Fixed various crashes.
- Fixed an issue where the highlight does not cycle when navigating jersey colors in Advanced Setup.
- Fixed text that was misaligned in the Select Natural Wonders menu.
- Fixed multiple locations throughout the game where the text would overrun.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips cannot be toggled for leader icons in the right tray in the Pirates Scenario.
- Fixed an issue where an incorrect tooltip is present on the Previously Recruited tab when attempting to purchase with faith in the Heroes and Great People menu.
- Fixed an issue where the text alignment of “Game Random Seed” and “Map Random Seed” was offset in the Advanced Setup menu.
- Fixed an issue where the HUD Ribbon does not open correctly for players in Hot Seat games if a player changes the Show Yields in HUD Ribbon option during the game.
- Fixed multiple locations where text would overlap other items.
- Fixed instances where text and icons could appear small in various game locations.
- Fixed an issue where the “Created By” text on the Heroic Relic pop-up displays as “Created By Tribal Villages” in certain languages during a Heroes and Legends game.
[PS4 & XB1]
- Fixed an overlapping issue with the Gossip menu in Russian.
- Fixed an issue where the title “American Empire: Teddy Roosevelt (Rough Rider)” overlapped the scroll bar on the Leader loading screen in Polish.
- Fixed the titles for the “The Mask of Bahophet” and “Voice of Aiwass” achievements.
- Fixed an issue where a close button prompt could be present on the World Rankings menu and the Treat with Tribe menu in Rise & Fall and Standard games.
- Fixed an issue where the background stretches beyond the top edge of the Great Works menu.
- Fixed an issue where the text “CREW” overlapped the left thumb stick button icon in the unit panel in the Pirates Scenario.