Bandai Namco bringing a board game to Wii U and 3DS
Bandai Namco has announced a new board game-based title for Wii U and 3DS.
Take a second to absorb this title: Gotouchi Tetsudou: Gotouchi Kyara to Nihon Zenkoku no Tabi. That roughly translates to Local Railroads: Local Characters and a Journey All Around Japan.
Local Railroads is based on Sugoroku, a board game similar to snakes and ladders. Here’s a quick overview of the game flow:
1. Select which local characters will accompany the player
2. Select which part of the railway network is your destination. You can choose any place that isn’t home to any of your local characters.
3. You head for that place. Movement is done with dice. At times you can use skills of your local characters, too.
4. Various events happen depending on the circle you land on. You may gain fans for your local characters from events.
5. Arrive at the destination. If you are first to arrive, you’ll gain fans and the local character of the destination.
6. Choose the next destination and so on.
Although it’s important to rush to the destination, sometimes it may be useful to take a longer road if you can land on a circle with beneficial effects. There are circles where you can obtain famous products of that area, and there are circles where you compete against rival local characters with dice throws. If you win, a rival local character joins your team. If you lose, you’ll lose fan(s).
Players can gain fans while travelling around Japan, and there are more than 120 local characters in the game. Special skills may help your movement or hinder your opponents. It will be advantageous to collect more local characters as you’ll have more special skills.
Local Railroads: Local Characters and a Journey All Around Japan launches in Japan on November 27. The 3DS version is priced at 5,210 yen while the Wii U version will cost 6,170 yen.