October 2013: Nintendo’s response, 3DS hardware sales double, more
Nintendo has responded to the October 2013 NPD data report.
The company’s results are highlighted by 3DS sales, which came in at 452,000 units last month. October 3DS sales doubled last month’s total, and according to Nintendo, “marked the most units any portable video game system or home console has sold in a single month in 2013.”
Pokemon X/Y were the top two selling titles in the US last month. Both versions sold 1.7 million copies in the US.
Thanks to the new Pokemon releases, October was the biggest month for 3DS software. Nintendo said in its NPD response today, “Total Nintendo 3DS first-party software sales hit more than 2 million units sold, the highest tally since the report for December 2011, which included sales of hit games Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7.”
You can find Nintendo’s full NPD response below.
- Nintendo-published games now available include Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team,LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins and Mario Kart 7. Games still on the way in 2013 include The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour.
- Some top third-party Nintendo 3DS games for the holiday season include Sonic Lost World from SEGA (exclusive), Shin Megami Tensei IV from ATLUS (exclusive),Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (exclusive) from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! Collector’s Edition from D3Publisher (exclusive) and Skylanders SWAP Force from Activision.
- Nintendo-published games now available include Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Wii Party U. Wii U games still on the way in 2013 include Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games on Nov. 15 and Super Mario 3D World on Nov. 22.
- Digitally exclusive Nintendo-published games now available in the Nintendo eShop include Wii Sports Club – Tennis, Wii Sports Club – Bowling and EarthBound, as well as the Wii Fit U free trial version of the full game, available now until the end of January 2014.
- Make sure to keep an eye out in stores for recently announced Wii U bundles, now available at the suggested retail price of $299.99 each. All three bundles cater to value shoppers looking for a fun and economical gift for themselves or a loved one this holiday season.Some top third-party Wii U games for the holiday season include Sonic Lost World from SEGA (exclusive), Rayman Legends and Just Dance 2014 from Ubisoft, Disney Infinity from Disney Interactive, Skylanders SWAP Force and Call of Duty: Ghosts from Activision, and Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (exclusive).
- The new Wii U Deluxe Set now comes with two great games, New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U, all on one disc, while the limited-edition Wii U Deluxe bundle features a download code for the digital version of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.
- The Skylanders SWAP Force Wii U bundle, launching Nov. 15, also joins the list, and includes everything needed to start the new adventure, plus an assortment of Skylanders extras that will satisfy current fans and newcomers alike. The bundle comes with a white Wii U Basic Set, a Skylanders SWAP Force starter pack that includes three Skylanders figures, a Portal of Power, trading cards, Skylanders sticker sheets, a collector poster and a Nintendo Land game disc.
*September had an additional reporting week compared to October.
**Data regarding physical sales of games in October are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.
Source: Nintendo PR