UK: Super Mario 3D All-Stars is 15th biggest Nintendo game launch of all time, fifth biggest Switch launch, more
We heard earlier this week that Super Mario 3D All-Stars had the third biggest launch of the year in the UK. There’s more to the story than just that, however.
GfK, via Christopher Dring, has provided additional information about the collection’s performance. Here’s some other noteworthy tidbits:
– Super Mario 3D All-Stars is the 15th biggest Nintendo game launch of all time in the UK
– Second biggest Mario platformer launch, behind Super Mario Odyssey (which was narrowly bigger, as the 14th biggest Nintendo launch of all time)
– Fifth biggest UK Switch game launch of all time, behind Pokemon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and Mario Odyssey
– Only three bigger UK physical game launches featuring Mario bigger than 3D All-Stars
– These are Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Odyssey
– Super Mario Galaxy on Wii is the 22nd biggest Nintendo UK game launch, Sunshine is the 35th, and Mario 64 is the 187th biggest Nintendo game launch
It seems that over a slightly longer period (meaning more than just release weekend), Super Mario 3D All-Stars may have actually outperformed Super Mario Odyssey. That’s based on information from Niko Partners senior analyst Daniel Ahmad, who says Super Mario 3D All-Stars had higher unit sales in the UK for the first week.