Cranky Kong Bounces into Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 0 comments
REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–During this weekend’s VGX event, a live demonstration of the upcoming Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze game for Wii U revealed some exciting details about the addition of Cranky Kong as a playable character. For the first time in the Donkey Kong Country series, players will be able to assume control of the fan-favorite Cranky Kong. Cranky joins Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong as one of Donkey Kong’s partners in the game. At VGX, an event celebrating video games, Nintendo also revealed that the game will launch in North America on Feb. 21 in stores and on the Nintendo eShop.
The bearded Cranky Kong is very spry for his age, using his cane to bounce on dangerous objects like spikes. This ability helps him access areas other characters can’t reach. During single-player mode, Cranky rides on Donkey Kong’s back. In co-op multiplayer, a second player can control Cranky, Diddy or Dixie directly (an additional controller is required for multiplayer play, and is sold separately).
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze details
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 24 Comments
This month’s issue of Game Informer contains a feature on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. We’ve rounded up details from the magazine’s report below.
VGX 2013: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze gameplay demo and Reggie appearance
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze releases in North America on February 21, Cranky Kong confirmed
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 7 Comments
As many had speculated, Nintendo brought along Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to VGX 2013. Two pieces of news were shared: a confirmation of Cranky Kong as the fourth playable character and February 21 release date.
The following information was also shared during a live demo:
– Cranky has a lot of personality
– Cranky uses his cane to jump around
– Crane bounce: jump across spike pits
– None of the other characters can do this
– Cranky’s Kong Pow: turns all enemies on screen into coins
Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime also shared the following tidbits:
– Reggie wants to see another Metroid
– Says PS4 and Xbox One are a good thing for Nintendo and the overall industry
– 3D World doing “quite well”
– Says Nintendo has some of the top rated games, can’t play them on other systems
– Reggie loves the memes fans have created of him
Updated Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze boxart may reveal fourth playable character
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 22 Comments
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze includes four playable characters. Thus far, we know of three: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong.
An updated version of Tropical Freeze’s boxart – discovered on Amazon – may reveal the fourth playable character. Who is it? Head past the break for the image.
Full GT.TV episode featuring Reggie and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in 3DS, General Nintendo, News, Videos, Wii U | 2 Comments
GT.TV – Nintendo Power live blog – Reggie btis, Donkey Kong details, VGX tease, more
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 14 Comments
Update: Over. Full roundup below!
A couple of folks have expressed interest in Nintendo Everything keeping track of the latest GT.TV as it happens. Nintendo will be showing off new footage/levels from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Reggie as well as Bill Trinen will be appearing.
I’ve decided to create a live-blog type thing, so we’ll have updates (below) throughout the show as they come in. GT.TV starts just after 1 AM ET – expect updates to begin then and last for a half hour or so. We’ll also post the full show when it becomes available later today.
– Reggie’s pitch for the holidays: all about software
– Says Nintendo has Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty
– Only place where you can play the great Nintendo franchises
– Reggie says games like Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Mario Kart will have a fantastic sales curve over time
– Reggie says these games will be in the top ten selling games across all platforms this gen
– Reggie: in the end, software sells hardware
– 3DS the best-selling system past 5 months in a row
– Reggie says this is because of the software
– Reggie is feeling good about Wii U’s software lineup next year
– He’s confident Nintendo has strong software Nintendo has already announced + in development
– Reggie: Large, diverse install base and an opportunity to drive sales motivates third-party support
– Reggie says Nintendo is working on a lot more with Wii U NFC
– Reggie once again says putting games on mobile doesn’t make much sense, especially for the player since it’s not as good an experience
– Reggie says Nintendo will be different by having a steady of pace of games for Wii U/3DS, marketing throughout the entire year
– Reggie admits Nintendo was a bit quiet in the first half of this year in terms of marketing, won’t make the same mistake in 2014
– Nintendo has something for everyone
– Reggie teases something for VGX (December 7)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
– First big game for Wii U next year
– Jolly Jamboree level
– Jelly blobs bounce you
– Enemy characters bounce as well, flip in the air
– Jolly Jamboree is one of the later levels
– 6 islands
– Go from island to island
– Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong trying to take back the island from the Snomads
– “Kong Pow” – collect 100 bananas, fill up meter, then the players need to time the C button press at the same time to get the new ability to work
– This destroys all enemies on screen
– Transforms them into items
– Items depend on which buddy character you’re playing as (Dixie, Diddy, etc.)
– Dixie: transforms them into golden hearts
– Each golden heart gives you an extra hit before turning into a red heart
– If playing by yourself, can still do a Kong Pow
– In single-player, you’re in control of both characters
– First level back on DK Island: Homecoming Hijinx
– All completely frozen
– Will see little hints that may remind you of the first level from Donkey Kong Country Returns
– All levels on DK Island are different this time
– Bill Trinen says the levels are quite challenging in the game
– Ice has frozen elements in the environment
– Jump on platforms and cause ice to crack/break
– Platforms will break off, other elements will start to collapse
– Plucking ability: pull things out of the ground which triggers different elements in the environment
– Enhanced ability to pick up and throw objects around
– Big change with the camerawork
– This lets Retro do different things with the minecart levels in particular
GT.TV “Nintendo Power” teaser (new Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze levels)
Nintendo of Canada staffer believes New Super Luigi U is more difficult than Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Posted on 5 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Wii U | 2 Comments
At least in the eyes of one Nintendo staffer, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze won’t be as tough as New Super Luigi U. Nintendo of Canada’s Matt Ryan was asked about which of the two he believes is more difficult based on his experience observing Treehouse play both titles. In his view, New Super Luigi U does indeed offer more of a challenge.
GT.TV’s “Nintendo & Donkey Kong” episode scheduled for November 15
We already knew GameTrailers TV would be hosting a special episode on Nintendo (as is the case every year), but we now have an exact date. The episode will air next Friday – November 15 – 1 AM.
Reggie Fils-Aime will be on hand to provide “a look at Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and more,” according to an official listing on Spike.
What’s next for Nintendo? GTTV is joined by Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime to get a look at Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and more.
Bill Trinen is expected to be appearing on the episode as well. What else is in store? Feel free to take your guesses!