Submit a news tip



interview

Super Mario Bros. Wonder new engine

The team behind Super Mario Bros. Wonder has discussed being motivated by the reception to Super Mario Maker 2 as well as making a brand new engine for the game.

In an official Nintendo interview today, producer Takashi Tezuka noted how some felt that Mario Maker 2 “had eliminated the need for another 2D Mario game.” He added that “those kinds of sentiments may have been what motivated me to come up with ideas for this game.”

Right after that in the interview, Koichi Hayashida – who worked on game design – mentioned how director Shiro Mouri pushed for “a new game engine that would serve as a foundation for future 2D Mario games.” This was in part possible because the team wasn’t forced to rush for a deadline.

Mario Sonic differences Iizuka

Sonic Superstars producer Takashi Iizuka has weighed in on the game’s close launch to Super Mario Bros. Wonder. In an interview with Automaton, he said that he was “surprised” that the two were releasing just a few days apart from each other.

Iizuka was asked about differences between the two franchises, and noted that they “are enjoyable in different ways.” He also sounded appreciative of the fans that have supported Sonic over the past few decades.

Our full translation reads:

2D Mario future Wonder

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a big milestone for a number of reasons. For one thing, it’s the first side-scrolling entry in the series in over a decade. And after four New Super Mario Bros. titles, Nintendo is finally going in a new direction.

Game Informer recently asked Super Mario Bros. Wonder producer Takashi Tezuka about the future, though he was noncommittal on the game leading to more releases like it in the future similar to what we saw from New Super Mario Bros. At the same time, he mentioned how it’s “a new phase”.

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Sheikah Towers Guardians tech

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom builds on the mechanics and world of Breath of the Wild, but there are some elements that are absent such as the Sheikah Towers and Guardians. In their place are things like the Skyview Towers and new types of enemies we didn’t see in the previous title. But what happened to the Sheikah tech in Breath of the Wild anyway?

Hidemaro Fujibayashi, who was the director on Tears of the Kingdom and Breath of the Wild, offered up an explanation in an interview with The Telegraph. He explained that the Sheikah technology simply disappeared – which the people of Hyrule apparently saw. However, Fujibayashi said “it is considered a mystery.”

Super Mario Bros. Wonder freedom

One of the big concepts we’ve been hearing about with Super Mario Bros. Wonder is player freedom. However, it turns out that this applied to the actual development as well.

Speaking with Rolling Stone, producer Takashi Tezuka said that this time around, they “really wanted to give the designers more freedom than we would have in the past.”

Mario Rayman Rayman

Mario + Rabbids creative director Davide Soliani, who worked on the original Kingdom Battle and last year’s Sparks of Hope, has significant interest in working on a new Rayman game.

In an interview with Nintendo Everything, Soliani said he would be “crazy to not take that chance” if given the opportunity. He also told us that from a developer standpoint, it’s the “pinnacle of all the possibilities”.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder producer Takashi Tezuka has commented on the game’s launch falling very close to the release of Sonic Superstars. Both are new 2D side-scrollers, and as many fans know, the franchises used to go head-to-head.

Nintendo’s new title will launch on October 20. But only three days before that, SEGA will be shipping out Sonic Superstars. Tezuka said that it’s “an interesting coincidence”.

Pikmin 4 development release

The team behind Pikmin 4 has commented on the game’s development and discussed why it took so long for it to release.

For years, fans were holding onto the now-infamous words from Shigeru Miyamoto who said in 2015 that the project was “very close to completion.” Yet it wasn’t until this past summer that the game finally released on Switch. So what happened?

Super Mario Bros. Wonder multiplayer player collision

Nintendo has shared a little nugget of information about Super Mario Bros. Wonder‘s development, revealing that the game initially included player collision in local multiplayer, though it was ultimately taken out.

This is a small but notable change from the New Super Mario Bros. series. Previously, collision meant being able to do certain things like jumping off another player’s head while playing with friends. However, it could also make things quite chaotic – something that Nintendo seemed to take notice of. Now you won’t touch or bump into other players.

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Depths design

A recent interview with Famitsu reveals that the Depths for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “were made in a surprisingly short period of time.”

That comes from director Hidemaro Fujibayashi. The initial area’s development came together quickly, though he did acknowledge that “it took a long time and many adjustments for it to take its present shape”. 


Manage Cookie Settings