Submit a news tip

Tatsumi Kimishima

It shouldn’t come as a major surprise, but Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima will be presenting at the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 next week. The invite pictured on 1-UP Studios’ Facebook page confirms as such. However, we can’t see the page in full, so it’s possible that Kimishima will be joined on stage by others.

Reception for the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 opens at 12 PM local time on January 13. But as we’ve known for quite awhile, the event itself officially begins at 1 PM (8 PM PT / 11 PM ET on January 12). The East Hall 8 will be used at Tokyo Big Site.

Kyoto Shimbun published a new article about Nintendo’s mobile plans yesterday, which included comments from president Tatsumi Kimishima. Sankei has now followed up with its own report.

Kimishima previously mentioned to Kyoto Shimbun that the company was looking at two or three mobile titles each year starting in 2017. However, Sankei has a different quote from him in which he says that Nintendo is always considering pushing out three, and maybe even more than that per year.

Nintendo began its mobile efforts earlier this year with its first app Miitomo. And just last week, the company’s first true game arrived on the Apple Store – Super Mario Run.

Speaking with Kyoto Shimbun, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima talked a bit more about the company’s mobile plans. He said that, starting in 2017, they hope to bring out two or three mobile games each year.

The Q&A section of Nintendo’s latest Financial Results Section has now been officially translated into English and is available here.

We’ve already provided translations for a couple of the questions here, but it’s nice to have official translations available. Beyond that, Kimishima doesn’t really provide any big new details in his answers, but the Q&A is an interesting read nonetheless.

Source Via

Following Nintendo’s latest financial results briefing earlier in the week, Nintendo shared the full Q&A that took place with investors. However, just like always, it’s only available in Japanese initially. The English translation will likely be posted sometime next week.

In the meantime, Cheesemeister and Takashi Mochizuki have been providing a few unofficial translations. Head past the break for Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima’s comments on third-party support for Switch as well as other tidbits.

Following Nintendo’s recent financial results meeting, president Tatsumi Kimishima sat down with Bloomberg and answered a couple of their questions on the Switch and Nintendo’s other future projects. Read the full interview here; below are a couple of interesting excerpts:

Will you discontinue the 3DS?

Thanks to our software, the 3DS hardware is still growing. So that business still has momentum. And certainly rather than being cannibalized by the Switch, we think the 3DS can continue in its own form.

The video didn’t seem like a typical Nintendo promotion. It was aimed at an audience that you would expect for Sony or Apple.

As the name implies, we’re switching a lot of things. But we have no interest in switching our customers. We have no intention of just going after a certain age group. Depending on the kind of software that comes out, families and kids will be able to play too. The titles we did show, those are games that for people who understand they will grasp it right away, but for families and kids, we want them to understand by actually experiencing it.

Last week, Nintendo revealed Switch with a three-minute preview trailer. The company also just confirmed yesterday that a special event will be held on January 12 (January 13 in other parts of the world) as part of a proper blowout. Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima reiterated to Bloomberg of the initial video: “By no means was that everything”.

Nintendo’s stock started out strong following the announcement, but has taken a bit of a tumble since. Speaking about that, Kimishima said: “To tell you the truth, I was surprised. I don’t understand why.”

Kimishima also said the following about Switch:

A few hours ago, we posted some tidbits from a new Asahi interview with Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima about the company’s movie plans. The outlet’s complete interview has now been translated in full.

We have Kimishima’s complete comments on movies, plus remarks about mobile and NX. Continue on below for the translation, courtesy of GSR.

-You’re currently working to invest your IP in new fields. In April Nintendo sold its stake in the Seattle Mariners; are you putting the income from that to use?

We aren’t looking to make money simply by directly licensing our characters, but we must invest heavily in new areas such as film production going forward. When we’ve finalized that sale, we’d like to use part of the proceeds in these areas.

-By film production, you mean movies?

The most common meaning is films, but there’s a variety of opportunities such as video content. We’re currently talking with a number of partners, and I think we’ll be able to finalize something in the not-too-distant future.

In recent times, Nintendo has spoken about the potential of the company entering the movie business. This is something that president Tatsumi Kimishima discussed more concretely while speaking with Asahi.

The site reports that Nintendo is getting into the movie business, with Kimishima hinting that the company is looking at a production system where “we can do as much as we can ourselves.” Kimishima added that Nintendo would like to have it’s first movie ready within the next 2-3 years. Various franchises are up for consideration.

As far as specifics go, nothing was shared in particular with Asahi.

Source, Via

Miitomo may have only just launched about a month ago, but the app has managed to secure 10 million users since then. Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima said during the company’s investors briefing last week that this shows “it has achieved the level we had planned.”

Going forward with Nintendo’s mobile apps, Kimishima noted that they’ll be looking to quickly act upon feedback received to make them better. This is something that will be happening with Miitomo, and by doing so, the amount of daily active users can increase.

Here’s the full question/answer from an investor and Kimishima about mobile:

I’m sure that there were many things with Miitomo that Nintendo expected, as well as many that were unexpected, that provided learning experiences. I would like to hear as much as possible about what was learned from the experience. Nintendo’s value comes from its strong IP, and using that IP comes with the risk that if the IP is not successful, its value will decrease. In that sense, Miitomo and future titles need to get results in the smart device application market. It may still be too early to generalize, but I would like to know how the response to Miitomo has been in comparison with your expectations.

I believe that Miitomo reaching 10 million unique users in the short time since its release shows that it has achieved the level we had planned. At the same time, this system lets us hear the consumers’ opinions. I believe this business requires us to continue to update to respond to these opinions in various ways, so we knew from the beginning that we would not be able to satisfy everyone right away. We believe that it is important to continue to revitalize the applications by quickly implementing feedback from consumers. Only one month has passed since distribution began. Our goals are to act on the feedback we received during this period quickly and increase the amount of consumers who are playing daily.

Source

Page 1 of 512345