Sony Pictures Entertainment’s upcoming film “Pixels” will feature classic video game characters such as Donkey Kong and Pac-Man, the company announced today. The movie, which stars Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Peter Dinklage, Josh Gad, and Brian Cox, is slated for May 15, 2015.
For those who haven’t heard of Pixels previously, below is a quick overview of the film:
In Pixels, when intergalactic aliens misinterpret video-feeds of classic arcade games as a declaration of war against them, they attack the Earth, using the games as models for their various assaults. President Will Cooper (James) has to call on his childhood best friend, ’80s video game champion Sam Brenner (Sandler), now a home theater installer, to lead a team of old-school arcaders (Dinklage and Gad) to defeat the aliens and save the planet. Monaghan plays the team’s unique weapons specialist.
And here’s the listing of companies with classic arcade games that are teaming with Sony Pictures on Pixels:
• Atari Interactive: (Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede and Missile Command)
• Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. (Frogger)
• BANDAI NAMCO Games Inc. (PAC-MAN, Galaga, and Dig Dug)
• Nintendo (Donkey Kong)
• Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. (Q*bert)
• Taito Corporation (Space Invaders)
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Joust, Defender, Robotron and Wizard of Wor)
Those attending San Diego Comic-Con 2014 this week will have the opportunity to engage with many of these classic original arcade games and try them out again as the studio features a Pixels Electric Dreams Factory arcade at the Hard Rock Hotel, 209 5th Ave., San Diego.