Monolith Soft: From A to Xeno (Part 1)
Posted on 2 years ago by Patrick(@Patricklous) in 3DS, Features, Game of the Month, GameCube, Wii | 17 Comments | 0 Likes
The last time I played through Xenoblade Chronicles was just after its European release in 2011, so I’ll let the other staff writers with fresher memories of it handle the actual game of the month. Instead, I’d like to take a not-so-brief look back at the history of the game’s developer, Monolith Soft, and the games they developed prior to Xenoblade. There are plenty of recurring themes, gameplay elements and staff involved, so let’s see how almost a decade of developing RPGs shaped this robot-slaying, god-climbing adventure.
Update: Amazon – Skylanders SuperChargers pre-orders open, short videos
Update (6/4): Pre-orders are now open on Amazon. You can reserve it here.
Retailers are starting to open pre-orders for Skylanders SuperChargers. You can reserve the Starter Pack on Best Buy here or GameStop here. We’ll update this post when Amazon begins taking pre-orders.
In other Skylanders SuperChargers news, we have a few more clips from the game. Each one can be found below.
Skylanders series has sold 250 million toys, generated $3 billion
Skylanders has been a huge success for Activision since the franchise’s debut. GameSpot reports that 250 million toys have been sold to date, and the series has generated $3 billion for Activision.
The first Skylanders, Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure, launched in October 2011. Four games have been released, with Skylanders SuperChargers following later this year.
Another round of Skylanders SuperChargers details
Game Informer has a new preview up with a whole bunch of details about Skylanders SuperChargers. Read on below for the full information summary.
– new portal has a wider surface for the increased size of the vehicles
– new portal features a slot for the traps from last year’s Skylanders: Trap Team
– new portal does not have voice or light functionality
– traps themselves give you special ammo, and unlock a Skystone of that specific villain [in the trap]
– 20 new figures and 20 vehicles
– possibility of a legacy line along the lines of Eon’s Elite
– all 20 of the new characters have a signature car
– Spitfire rides in Hot Streak; Dive-Clops rides in Dive Bomber; Jet-Vac rides in Jet Stream
– each car, submarine, and airship is equipped with a playable function
– Hot Streak’s wheels spin like any Hot Wheels toy
– aircraft and submarines are equipped with moving parts
– any character can ride in any vehicle
– new vehicle-based animations for all of the characters
– a vehicle won’t appear in the world until a player enters a portal leading to a vehicle sequence
– portals are clearly marked with the vehicle type needed (land, air, or sea)
– some vehicle portals are placed in the middle of a level’s critical path and are mandatory
– other vehicle portals are placed along the side of paths, where secrets and bonuses await
– on critical-path missions, only land-based vehicles are used
– during a vehicle sequence, the character is locked into the driver’s seat and cannot run on foot
– follow a linear path where the camera is positioned behind the vehicle
– tracks have jumps and obstacles
-“Gearbits” are a new form of currency used to upgrade the specific parts on the vehicle
– Gearbits are often positioned in places that help the player navigate obstacles, such as a trail leading up to a ramp
– other driving sections include an arena that looks like a skate park, with its walls doubling as half-pipes
– Hot Streak’s car is equipped with a Flamethrower and lock-on technology
– avoid/destroy enemies in the arena and ring a set of bells to open the arena exit
– when a pilot hops into his or her signature car, the duo becomes SuperCharged, earning a damage boost and other perk
– SuperCharged effect is shown visually through a pulsating energy being given off by the vehicle
– if you finish a vehicle section SuperCharged, the character will still have a damage boost for part of the next on-foot section
– in flight sections, enemies can be locked onto and debris that can be avoided with a quick barrel roll
– one flight mission is in the Cloud Kingdom stage
– this mission uses Stormblade, a bird-like Skylander, and her craft, the Sky Slicer
– fight off an armada of transport ships
– Sky Slicer is equipped with feather projectiles and secondary homing missiles that can lock-on to numerous targets at once
– there is also a submarine section in Cloud Kingdom
– this involves using the Dive Bomber, owned by Dive-Clops
– follow a linear path and have the sub hit jumps to catch air and avoid hazards
– sub is equipped with the ability to submerge beneath the water’s surface
– this portion ends with a battle against rival boats and subs
– use sonar pings to lock-on to these targets
– deactivate a storm-sequencer that is threatening the inhabitants of Cloud Kingdom
– other sub missions include full-on diving
– there are different upgradeable parts for each of the 20 vehicles
– Hot Streak can upgrade the engine and tires
– other cars could offer defensive body and suspension upgrades
– earn instant mods hidden in stages and at the end of specific vehicle sequences
– some returning characters have superhero-like guises that open up a new arsenal of moves
– Super-Shot Stealth Elf has a new green/yellow outfit, is equipped with a rail gun and poisonous/stealth attacks
– she drops her gun, turns invisible, and sneaks up on enemies
– Jet-Vac now goes by Hurricane Jet-Vac
– he can use a hurricane hover attack, narrow the distance to his attackers using a dash kick, and can use his vacuum gun
– Trigger Happy is now wearing red and white gloves and has a new flamethrower gun
– he has been renamed Double Dare Trigger Happy
– Kaos returns as the villain and has a new weapon, the Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction,
– this weapon is capable of eating the sky and everything contained within it
– over 40 minutes of cinematics
– collectible hats, collectible Skystone cards, lock-picking minigames, and laser and block puzzles all return
– same cooperative experience for the on-foot sequences
– does not allow for two vehicles to be onscreen at the same time
– roughly 50 percent of the game is dedicated to vehicle
– level cap has not been increased beyond 2
– digital version of Skylanders: SuperChargers for all systems for people who don’t want to purchase another portal
– download SuperChargers and unlock digital “Instant” versions of Spitfire and Hotstreak for use in the game
– no other characters or vehicles are planned for the Instant line.
Skylanders SuperChargers footage and more
Several videos for Skylanders SuperChargers have come in showing footage, among other things. You’ll find all below.
Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Pack image, screenshots
Posted on 2 years ago by Brian(@NE_Brian) in 3DS, Screenshots, Wii, Wii U | 0 comments | 0 Likes
Activision sent out the first Skylanders SuperChargers assets today. Along with the Starter Pack image posted above, you’ll also find the first screenshots below.
Activision officially announces Skylanders SuperChargers
With various leaks that have surrounding the new Skylanders, it was quite clear that Activision would be making an announcement in the very near future. The publisher took the opportunity to do just that today, and has now made “Skylanders SuperChargers” official.
Here’s the full breakdown:
At the helm of powerful, tricked-out land, sea and sky vehicles, Portal Masters can engage in a high-octane action-adventure videogame like never before. Kids can speed across Skylands’ roads in vehicular combat, race down roaring rapids and engage in aerial dogfights as they barrel-roll through enemy swarms for the first time. Developed by Vicarious Visions, Skylanders SuperChargers offers a rich story-driven gameplay experience, filled with vehicle-based and on-foot adventures, combat, puzzles, mini games, activities and platforming, set within a variety of all-new compelling environments.
Skylanders SuperChargers features a brand-new class of heroes, called SuperChargers who are distinct with fresh moves, powerful attacks and all-new weapons. These SuperChargers also have special in-game abilities that help Portal Masters fight Kaos. Twenty new SuperChargers character toys and 20 new vehicle toys will be available.
Players will have the ability to customize all vehicles in-game with super cool modifications and upgradeable weapons. For the ultimate gameplay experience, players can pair a SuperCharger Skylander with its signature vehicle to create a SuperCharged combination, unlocking an exclusive mod that revs up the performance of both the vehicle and character. Not only are the vehicles playable in the game, but also many feature moving parts, making them fun to play with outside of the game. Additionally, Skylanders SuperChargers supports all 300+ Skylanders toys from previous games, enabling all Skylanders characters to pilot land, sea or sky-based vehicles.
The game’s storyline focuses on Kaos’ latest attempt to rule Skylands. In his efforts to take down the Skylanders, Kaos has unleashed his most sinister weapon ever – a massive “Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction” capable of eating the sky itself! Fortunately, Master Eon has seen the warning signs and assembled a special team of Skylanders to pilot an unstoppable fleet of land, sea and sky vehicles with the power to travel through the reign of destruction to stop Kaos!
Just like previous entries in the Skylanders franchise, Skylanders SuperChargers is heading to Wii U, 3DS, and Wii. A Starter Pack will be sold for $74.99, which comes with two new Skylanders characters, a first-of-its kind Skylanders vehicle, newly designed Portal of Power+, and the full game.
Skylanders SuperChargers launches on September 20 in North America, September 24 in Australia/New Zealand, and September 25 in Europe. Check out the first trailer below.
Source: Activision PR
Skylanders SuperChargers boxart, a look at a new Skylander
There have been plenty of leaks surrounding Skylanders SuperChargers as of late. You can now add two more to the list!
The first image above is the game’s official boxart. Meanwhile, the second is a photo of a new Skylander.
Skylanders SuperChargers is expected to be unveiled tomorrow, so we should be receiving a trailer and new details soon.
Update: No Wii U or Wii either – FIFA 16 won’t be on 3DS
Update (5/31): It shouldn’t come as a surprise, but there are no plans for FIFA 16 on Wii U. It won’t be on Wii either,.
FIFA games have been appearing on Nintendo’s portable systems for over a decade. However, with FIFA 16, the streak is coming to a close.
EA confirmed to Pocket Gamer that the latest entry won’t be on the 3DS (or PS Vita for that matter). FIFA 12 up through FIFA 15 all launched on the handheld.
EA didn’t say why it decided to stop supporting the 3DS when it comes to the FIFA franchise, but the company is likely opting to focus on the mobile release instead.
Amazon listings confirm Skylanders SuperChargers, first details leaked
Thanks to listings on Amazon, this year’s Skylanders entry has been confirmed as “Skylanders SuperChargers”. Recent rumors had suggested that the game would indeed be given that title.
Along with the final name, Amazon also reveals the first Skylanders SuperChargers details. First, check out the overview below:
Skylands is in peril! Kaos has unleashed his most evil weapon yet – the Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction. With all of Skylands on the verge of collapse, a special team called the SuperChargers has been assembled to pilot an unstoppable fleet of incredible vehicles. Now you and the SuperChargers must embark on epic adventures over land, under sea, and through the sky to stop Kaos and save Skylands!
The Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Pack will come with a copy of the game, new Portal of Power, two Skylanders SuperChargers, one Skylanders Vehicle, and collection poster.
Activision has not yet unveiled Skylanders SuperChargers, but an announcement should be imminent.